Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 " pipe tune composed by PM Duncan MacFarlane of Arbroath

Re: "Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 " pipe tune composed by PM Duncan MacFarlane of Arbroath

I hear that Balhousie has an old record with titles

Brigadier James Oliver's return to El Alamein ( March)

Brigadier James Oliver Over the Rhine ( March).

The tunes were recorded by Piper John McDougall ( Late Camerons)

"The first tune is "Brigadier James Oliver's Return to El Alamein " This march was composed by the late Pipe Major D. McFarlane of Arbroath to commemorate the Dedication on the 8th Army's War Memorial at Alamein in1954 . The memorial was unveiled by Field Marshal Montgomery and Brigadier Oliver attended the ceremony , his first return to Alamein since the battle there in 1942.

Seems they have the music as well for the Brigadier's tunes.

Re: "Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 " pipe tune composed by PM Duncan MacFarlane of Arbroath

ARBROATH HERALD : Friday 26 march 2010:

Letters to the Editor:

PIPE TUNE:

Sir,

I am wondering if your readers might like to hear this story.

The Late Brigadier James A. Oliver CBE, DSO, TD, ADC was one of the senior partners of the firm of lawyers known as "Clark Oliver Dewar & Webster SSC & NP" in Arbroath and my late father, William Addison Anderson , was one of these senior partners in the firm.

During the Second World War , Brigadier (then Lt Col) J.A. Oliver was one of many men from the town and district serving in the famous Black Watch who were in action in the Battle of El Alamein in 1942 . Lt Col Oliver won his first DSO in this action ( the bar to the DSO a few months later) . The G.O.C. at the Battle of El Alamein was Major General Douglas N. Wimberley (Cameron Highlanders) who was dubbed as "Tartan Tam."

I remember as a wee boy that Brigadier Oliver went back to Alamein in 1954 on the occasion of the unveiling and dedication of the El Alamein War Memorial by Field Marshal Montgomery and in honour of this, Pipe Major Duncan MacFarlane , Arbroath , formerly Pipe Major of the Royal British Legion (Scotland) had composed a new pipe tune called " Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 ."

Have any of your excellent readers heard of this pipe tune in these recent years ? It would be interesting to know if it is still being played at various events and memorial ceremonies .

Patrick W Anderson

Letham

A friend of mine, Lt Col Walter Oliver Chisholme ,TD former KOSB once of Clark & Oliver in Arbroath remembers attending a talk given by Brigadier J A Oliver on the Battle of El Alamein . Also at the meeting in Arbroath was J .B. Booth, (known as Ian Booth) in the legal firm of Clark & Oliver's was also at this Battle I was informed . He was then a Sergeant in the Intelligence Corps during WW2 .

cheers, pat.
    nellie

I have been informed that (the late ) Major Gerald Osborne , Black Watch was in action at the Battle of El Alamein and won his Military Cross in that battle .

I see in the Officers of the Black Watch

OSBORNE , G.M. ; MC ,TD : (TA) 4/5th Dundee & Angus Bn Black Watch 2nd Lieut 28 Aug 1935, Lieut 24 Aug 1938, T Capt 6 Oct 1941, Capt 31 Aug 1943, T Major 5 Sept 1943 ; served with 1st Bn in North Africa and Sicily 1942- 1943, Mentioned in Despatches ; 2nd in command 1st Bn 17 Oct 1945 ; rejoined 4/5th Bn BW as Major - April 1946 ; To TARO 1950; Member of Queen's Bodyguard for Scotland , Royal Company of Archers .

I have in the recent days had a communication from a member of the public in Arbroath who told me that his GRANDFATHER was Pipe Major Duncan MACFARLANE who wrote the Pipe Tune for Brigadier James A . Oliver's return to El Amamein in 1954 .

He told me that his Uncle , Lance Corporal DUNCAN MACFARLANE , BLACK WATCH was a casualty of WW2 :

I have found Roll of Honour Arbroath & District 1939 -1945: page 82 :

Lance Cpl D MACFARLANE , BLACK WATCH :

Lance Corporal Piper Duncan MACFARLANE , BLACK WATCH , was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs Duncan MacFarlane, 70 Keptie Street, Arbroath. Twenty nine years of age, he married Kathleen Winter, Sandwich , Kent . He was a gardener by trade , and was employed in Perthshire when he joined the BLACK WATCH in 1934 . He served in India and Egypt before going to France in the early days of the War. He was taken prisoner at ST VALERY , and died suddenly on 12 October 1943 in a prison camp in Germany. Following in the footsteps of his father ,. PIPE MAJOR of the Pipe Band of the ARBROATH BRANCH of the British Legion , Lance Cpl Macfarlane was a member of the ARBROATH HIGHLAND PIPEBAND , and while serving in the ARMY was a member of the PIPEBAND OF THE 1st BATTALION THE BLACK WATCH .

The CWGC index shows

L/cpl 2754551 Duncan MacFarlane, 1st Bn The Black Watch , aged 30 years , death date 13 October 1943 the son of Mr &Mrs Duncan Macfarlane , husband of Kathleen Nellie MacFarlane of Sandwich , Kent

Grave Malbork Commonwealth War Cemetery, Poland :

( When hostilities ceased the graves service of the British Army of the Rhine moved the graves from local burial grounds to this war cemetery )

He is recorded on the Scottish National War Memorial at the Edinburgh Castle : Black Watch roll of honour :

MacFarlane Duncan L/Cpl, 2754551 , Black Watch
    Born Perthshire
    death date 13 October 1943

Other : P.O.W.

Theatre of death : France & Belgium Campaign 1939-1940

I read that this Duncan MacFarlane (1887-1968) was a Pipe Major with the Black Watch during WW1. I have not found any confirmation of this; can anyone tell me if that is correct? If so, which battalion and when.
    Aad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12