Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 " pipe tune composed by PM Duncan MacFarlane of Arbroath

"Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 " pipe tune composed by PM Duncan MacFarlane of Arbroath

Saturday 20 March 2010: Courier & Advertiser

Craigie Section.

IS TUNE STILL PLAYED ?

Letham reader Patrick Anderson has emailed with a poser for Craigie readers . "I am wondering if your knowledgeable readers can help me .

"The late Brigadier James A . Oliver CBE, DSO, TD, ADC was one of the senior partners in the former law firm Clark Oliver Dewar & Webster in Arbroath and my late father, William Addison Anderson was also a senior partner.

"During the second world war , Brigadier Oliver served in the Black Watch and he was in action at the Battle of El Alamein in 1942 where he won his first DSO . GOC at the battle was Major General Douglas Wimberley ( Cameron Highlanders ) who was affectionately dubbed "Tartan Tam".

"As a wee boy , I remember that Brigadier Oliver went back to Alamein in 1954 on the occasion of the unveiling and dedication of the El Alamein War Memorial by Field Marshal Montgomery . In honour of this , Pipe Major Duncan MacFarlane , Arbroath , former Pipe Major of the Royal British Legion (Scotland) had composed a new pipe tune " BRIGADIER OLIVER'S RETURN TO ALAMEIN 1954."

Have any of your readers heard this tune recently? It would be interesting to know if it is still played ."

Re: "Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 " pipe tune composed by PM Duncan MacFarlane of Arbroath

The Craigie column email address is

email : craigie@thecourier.co.uk

Re: "Brigadier Oliver's return to Alamein 1954 " pipe tune composed by PM Duncan MacFarlane of Arbroath

Heard from Major Ronnie Proctor who says that it would be good to have a copy of the pipe tune and include it in the next edition of the Black Watch Piping Collection . I presume it is a new publication of Black Watch piping tunes ....

Pat,

Apart from here, the only other reference I can find to the tune is at the link below.

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/06780/details.html

Is there not a copy in Arbroath Library??

Originally Posted By: patrick andersonHeard from Major Ronnie Proctor who says that it would be good to have a copy of the pipe tune and include it in the next edition of the Black Watch Piping Collection . I presume it is a new publication of Black Watch piping tunes ....

Did he say when this was being published Pat?
    Brig 0`Don(McBean VC Plt /P&D).1980-82.
    1BW.P&D 82-88.

The truth will out!

Here is the tune being played.

Brigadier J Oliver's return to Alamein

Guid Tune and Im sure Brig Oliver would be happy to know that it is on this site now

Thanks Chalky for finding the website with the pipe tune on so its still in use at least !

Jonesy .. I recall a few years ago talking to Tommy Smyth and he mentioned that he and PM Alistair Duthie were compiling a book /booklet on Black Watch pipe tunes and I never heard anything further and Alistair has now retired . Then last week after I emailed Ronnie Proctor at HHQ at Perth he mentioned he would have liked to have included Brigadier Oliver's one in the BW Piping Collection but would if another one is done include it in that if someone had the manuscript . I've not had any email from the editor of the Craigie column but she may include any info in a future newspaper when she gets a space in the busy column.

best wishes to all

pat w anderson

Hi Pat,

Please check your PMs - Private Messages, not Pipe Majors [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/grin.gif[/img] !!
    Brig 0`Don(McBean VC Plt /P&D).1980-82.
    1BW.P&D 82-88.

The truth will out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast