Thread: Michael Manning, 6th (Perthshire) Battalion (Territorial) Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Michael Manning, 6th (Perthshire) Battalion (Territorial) Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

I was wondering if there's any information to glean about my great-grand uncle Michael Manning, and his father, my 2nd great grandfather, Cornelius Manning.

Michael unfortunatley died early in the war, succumbing to wounds in August 1915, though I cannot pinpoint how he was killed. Any information would be welcome. Here is what I can tell you about Michael Manning:

Name: Michael Manning
    Birth Place: Auchterarder, Perthshire
    Death Date: 13 Aug 1915
    Death Location: France & Flanders
    Enlistment Location: Auchterarder
    Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
    Battalion: 6th (Perthshire) Battalion (Territorial)
    Number: 1370
    Type of Casualty: Died of wounds
    Theatre of War: Western European Theatre
    Here is his burial record:

Basically, I would like to gain an idea of his regiment's actions, and a possible background to his wounding and death (I could not find records of any military action in August 1915, though he may have been injured the previous month.)

His father's information as far as I can ascertain:

Name: Cornelius Manning
    Birth Place: Auchterarder, Perthshire
    Death Date: 26 April 1925
    Battalion: 2/6 Black Watch
    Enlisted: March 1915
    Home Service: 15 months
    Served France 2^ years
    Cornelius survived the war, but I cannot find much information on his service, where he went, etc. Here are his discharge papers:

Any and all help is much appreciated!

They were certainly in action, in a particularly hot spot, known as the Ilt (or Glory Hole) This is where Peter Barton and friends have been studying near La Boiselle. Not sure when your man was wounded, but here's a taste of what he went through in August, from the battalion diary. (My own transcription)

7/8/1915 Line shelled by enemy trench mortars. Trenches damaged slightly. Enemy's bombs knocked down part of parapet at Ilot. Cas 1 killed trench mortars 1 wounded (accidentally)

8/8/1915 Enemy fired large number of rifle grenades & trench mortars at Ilot sector. We replied with rifle grenades. Patrols sent out-nothing to report. Work done-new loop-holed traverses made in firing line, drainage improved. Cas 3 men slightly wounded-rifle grenades
    10:50 Germans explode mine at NE corner of Ilot. Explodes into gallery of French counter mine & did little damage. 11:45 Another mine blown up. Whole front wrecked. Parapets leveled. Two dug-outs demolished & garrisons buried-No 3 Coy. Parties working all night repairing damage & digging out men. Enemy made no attempt to attack. Crater shelled by enemy trench mortars, rifle grenades and aerial torpedoes. Cas 1 man killed, 1 missing, 14 wounded or crushed.

9/8/1915 Enemy artillery shelled whole line, also trench mortars, rifle grenades. Trench damaged. Work done-drainage improved. Cas 1 killed 4 wounded.

10/8/1915 Gun fire nil. 12 rifle grenades fired into Ilot by enemy. No damage. Enemy's wire strengthened in front of Ilot. 2 snipers shot by our snipers. Cas nil.

11/8/1915 Line heavily shelled by enemy's HE shells. Our artillery replied. Parapets damaged. Work done-drainage improved, dug-outs continued. German shot by our snipers. Cas 1 man killed.

12/8/1915 Ilot shelled by HE shells. 4 aerial torpedoes sent over by enemy. No damage. German working party fired on by MG & rifle fire. Bn bombers, bombed another German working party. Cas nil.

13/8/1915 Mine exploded by French. Heavy artillery fire by our guns into ?? area-HE shells. Cas 1 man wounded. Bn relieved by 7th Black Watch & took up billets at Abert.

Mike

The Auchterarder Roll of honour is online to download https://archive.org/details/rollofhonourforb1920auch

here's the Manning lads entries, gives you theatres and when there.
    mannings.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Deeko View Post
    The Auchterarder Roll of honour is online to download https://archive.org/details/rollofhonourforb1920auch

here's the Manning lads entries, gives you theatres and when there.
    mannings.jpg
    That's an interesting date, since according to his cemetery memorial he died on the 13th. I also found this with the same D.O.D.:

Quote Originally Posted by mikky View Post
    They were certainly in action, in a particularly hot spot, known as the Ilt (or Glory Hole) This is where Peter Barton and friends have been studying near La Boiselle. Not sure when your man was wounded, but here's a taste of what he went through in August, from the battalion diary. (My own transcription)

13/8/1915 Mine exploded by French. Heavy artillery fire by our guns into ?? area-HE shells. Cas 1 man wounded. Bn relieved by 7th Black Watch & took up billets at Abert.

Mike
    If he did indeed die on the 13th from his wounds, then I suspect he is the wounded mentioned here?
    Last edited by Valaquen; 11th May 2014 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaquen View Post
    Cornelius survived the war, but I cannot find much information on his service, where he went, etc. Here are his discharge papers:

These discharge papers show that Cornelius was in the Labour Corps at the time of his discharge.

Royal Highlanders 43252 Private.

Labour Corps 369442 Private.

On the discharge papers next to Unit and Corps there is an abbreviation ECLC. This could stand for 'Eastern Command Labour Corps'.

I have seen this on another forum, but can't comment on the authenticity of the statement:

ECLC stands for Eastern Centre Labour Corps, which was a training centre for the Labour Corps covering the Eastern counties of Home Command. ECLC was located originally at Thetford and then at Sutton, Surrey.

Just extracted this from yet another forum and it seems to make sense:

ECLC = Eastern Command Labour Centre.

There were eight in total: Scottish, Northern, Western Irish, Eastern, Aldershot, Southern and London

Hello, I am a new member on the forum and have just read your post. My grandfather was in the 1/7th Fife Battalion Black Watch. I have Maj Gen Wauchope's book which details 1/6th WW1 history. Your great-grand uncle is listed as wounded and the information already provided is confirmed. I can provide you with other information should it interest you. He would have been in F Company / Auchterarder whose Captain was R.G. Gordon. Regards Ian

Tam McCluskey
    Quote Originally Posted by mikky View Post

7/8/1915 Line shelled by enemy trench mortars. Trenches damaged slightly. Enemy's bombs knocked down part of parapet at Ilot. Cas 1 killed trench mortars 1 wounded (accidentally)

8/8/1915 Enemy fired large number of rifle grenades & trench mortars at Ilot sector. We replied with rifle grenades. Patrols sent out-nothing to report. Work done-new loop-holed traverses made in firing line, drainage improved. Cas 3 men slightly wounded-rifle grenades
    10:50 Germans explode mine at NE corner of Ilot. Explodes into gallery of French counter mine & did little damage. 11:45 Another mine blown up. Whole front wrecked. Parapets leveled. Two dug-outs demolished & garrisons buried-No 3 Coy. Parties working all night repairing damage & digging out men. Enemy made no attempt to attack. Crater shelled by enemy trench mortars, rifle grenades and aerial torpedoes. Cas 1 man killed, 1 missing, 14 wounded or crushed.

9/8/1915 Enemy artillery shelled whole line, also trench mortars, rifle grenades. Trench damaged. Work done-drainage improved. Cas 1 killed 4 wounded.

10/8/1915 Gun fire nil. 12 rifle grenades fired into Ilot by enemy. No damage. Enemy's wire strengthened in front of Ilot. 2 snipers shot by our snipers. Cas nil.

11/8/1915 Line heavily shelled by enemy's HE shells. Our artillery replied. Parapets damaged. Work done-drainage improved, dug-outs continued. German shot by our snipers. Cas 1 man killed.

12/8/1915 Ilot shelled by HE shells. 4 aerial torpedoes sent over by enemy. No damage. German working party fired on by MG & rifle fire. Bn bombers, bombed another German working party. Cas nil.

Mike
    To add to Mikes contribution

Dundee Courier 17 August 1915.
    Pte Michael Manning, Age 19, Apprentice slater. Wounded 3rd August, Died of wounds 12 August.
    The diary of the 6th for the 3rd August reports that there were no casualties on the 3rd. There were 4 casualties on the 4th 1 KIA and 3 wounded. The 4th was probably when he was wounded. As can be seen his death differs.