Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caird Park War Memorial Dundee & vandals

Re: Caird Park War Memorial Dundee & vandals

Well said pat will wait tae see whit the out come will be & how fast they act
    sandy

Re the Previous entry to Sandy's one I see that

Lt Col J B Muir DSO mentioned in the Scotman newspaper of May 1922 is listed in the Officers of the Black Watch as

Muir , J B ; CB,DSO, TD, JP., Chevalier of the Legion of Honour , French Cruix de Guerre (V & TF), 1st ( Later 4th) City of Dundee Bn ; 2/Lieut 20 June 1900, Lieut 31 August 1901; Capt 5 April 1905 , Major 16 July 1912 ; wounded 9 May 1915 & 5 July 1915 , to command 2nd/1st Ox & Bucks L I 5 Sept 1916 ; Lieut Colonel 19 May 1918 , Chairman City of Dundee Territorial and Auxilliary Forces Association ; Hon Colonel T.A. 21 October 1939

Yes, Pat I saw that someplace,
    nellie

An other council on the take and not giving out on the money they receive. They should be take to task over this, but as usual it will be swepted under the carpet. I forgot they cannot afford carpets in Dundee, it's jute sacks, instead.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Courier & Advertiser Tuesday 5 May 2009 : CRAIGIE section in all editions :

FOUND ON MEMORIAL:

The Caird Park memorial to BLACK WATCH soldiers killed in the First World War ahs featured recently for the wrong reasons but a more uplifting note comes from Ken Kennedy of Broughty Ferry , who says:

"I have been tracing my grandfather's activities during the first world war for some years and with the help of TOM SMYTH of Balhousie Castle have visited his grave at Y Ravinje Cemetery in Newfoundland Park near Beaumont Hamel , France .

"He was killed during the battle of Ancre on November 13th , 1916 , I was aware of a memorial in CAIRD PARK but it was only when I saw the photos of the names did I realise that one was of GEORGE MCLAREN.

"I checked with Tom and found there were four George McLarens killed, but only my grandfather was from the Parish of MAINS. Although there are no ranks or numbers on the memorial , it seems it is indeed , my grandfather who is commemorated there.

------------------------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123