Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Visits the Kirk in Pitlochry

Re: Pat Visits the Kirk in Pitlochry

great set of photo,s Pat,
    nellie

Hi Myway - Bill ,

Thanks for the info and yes , the RSA of New Zealand has done a large write up in their March 2009 journal on the New Zealand born 2Lieut Aleck Campbell Craig , NZEF & RAF who fell to his death on Ben Nevis during Feb 1919 . I've not got a hard copy of the article which has a variation of the photo of me at the Airman's Grave last year . The SCOTS MAGAZINE for February 2009 had another variation of the photo of me at the grave as I was hoping to hear that the Memorial to the airman was still on the Ben but so far I've not heard any info from the Scots Magazine.

There was you at the RSA in Russell in New Zealand , 12,000 miles from Scotland and my picture appears in front of you in their quarterly journal !

My wife's ancestor was Major Cyprian Bridge, of the British Army in the N Z Wars and after these wars he was Colonel and Magistrate at Russell, New Zealand prior to his retiral back home to Britain. A grandson of his was Lieut George Frederick Delmar-Williamson, Black Watch and RAF who was killed whilst testing a new aeroplane in Wiltshire on 12 July 1918

Captain Denys Cook was my wife's great uncle. We visited the Kirk in July this year and were warmly welcomed by the Church Warden (ess). We have a picture of Denys outside the Kirk in his Black Watch uniform. (Would like to upload it, but don't know how) If anyone knows more about Denys we would be very interested to hear from them. We have a collection of his letters from the War. He left the Intelligence Unit where he had been working (his Alsace-linked family the De Turckheims, meant that he spoke English, French and German fluently) and went into the front line in early 1918. He writes of the "many mistakes that we are making" in respect of Intelligence assessments. We can only presume that he became disenchanted with the upper class donkeys running the show. He was killed at Givenchy in April 1918.

Thanks for your update and really great to hear from you .

The officers of the Black Watch book Vol 11 records

Cooke , D ( R ) 3rd Bn , 2nd Lieut 21 March 1914, to 1st Bn 12 May 1915 , Capt 18 Sept 1915 , wounded 25 Sept 1915, rejoined from 5th Army as Capt 3 Jan 1918 , killed in action with 1st Bn 18 April 1918

I see that the Army lists records some info of his service in the famous Black Watch of course ..

The army lists ( Oct 1914 ) shows that 2nd Lieutenant D Cooke was commissioned ito the 3rd Reserve Bn BW 21 March 1914 on probation , then the army list for March 1915 has him listed with the 2nd Lieuts of the 3rd bn BUT attached to the GORDON HIGHLANDERS and then the army list for March 1917 has him back to the 3rd Bn as a Captain.

The book " A history of the BW in the Great War edited by Major General AG Wauchope has him listed in a number of pages of the 1st Bn the Black Watch as well as battles at LOOS 1915 , THE LYS 1918

My copy of the Scottish National war memorial at the Edinburgh castle shows that Black Watch roll of honour:

Cooke , Denys Capt , kia 18 .4. 1918 , 3rd Bn BW (attach 1st Bn BW ) .

Patrick - Watson-Watt was a Brechin man born and bred and if I remember I believe there is some information on him in the museum in brechin.

Hi Eck

Yes Watson - Watt was born in Brechin and I remember back in the 1950s the Arbroath lifeboat that capsized killing all but one of the crew had a Watson -Watt engine in them then. Sir Robert Watson - Watt was a relative of James Watt of engineering fame of many years ago I seem to remember . The Brechin Museum is being refurbished at present so is closed and there is also a committee raising money for a Watson - Watt Memorial in Brechin but its not a statue or anything like that on the drawings but I think its to do with his radar invention .

Photo of Denys Cooke

Quote Originally Posted by simont View Post
    Captain Denys Cook was my wife's great uncle. We visited the Kirk in July this year and were warmly welcomed by the Church Warden (ess). We have a picture of Denys outside the Kirk in his Black Watch uniform. (Would like to upload it, but don't know how) If anyone knows more about Denys we would be very interested to hear from them. We have a collection of his letters from the War. He left the Intelligence Unit where he had been working (his Alsace-linked family the De Turckheims, meant that he spoke English, French and German fluently) and went into the front line in early 1918. He writes of the "many mistakes that we are making" in respect of Intelligence assessments. We can only presume that he became disenchanted with the upper class donkeys running the show. He was killed at Givenchy in April 1918.
    It would be good to see the photo of Captain Cooke outside the church,there is a photo of him on du Ruvignys Roll of Honour Volume 4 but its a very dark picture.

Great pictures Pat, I was interested to see two Canadians listed on the memorial, will have to see what I can dig up on them from here.

Bob Little
    God Bless "The Watch" Now And Forever

Incredible Photos ,
    Yours Aye
    Tam .
    War does not decide who is right , only who is left.

Tam Drummond
    Former Musician in the 1st Bn The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast