Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pat Visits the Kirk in Pitlochry

Pat Visits the Kirk in Pitlochry

Re: Pat Visits the Kirk in Pitlochry

Pat again, a really beautiful set of photo's

Al
    Al

Thanks Chalky for the pics updating and the Kirk Memorial lists two Black Watch casualties :

Capt Norman Ferguson DIXON, 1/6th Black Watch , and the wee book I bought at the kirk says that he was attached to the Machine Gun Corps and died on 5 Oct 1917 of wounds received in action at Polygon Wood aged 22 years and he is interred in Menim Road South Military Cemetery Ypres in Flanders

the other casualty from the congregation was

Capt Denys COOKE, 3rd Black Watch attach 1st BW and killed in action on 18 April 1918 and the wee book says that he was born 1 Aug 1891 and fell at Gevenchy France . He was the only son of the Minister of the kirk from 1902 -1919 and his father donated a stained glass window to his son's memory which as you will see shows the Black Watch badge

We will Remember Them ...

Again pat ye have a great set o pics there
    sandy

Some really good photos there Pat,that part of the world I always enjoy visiting.

Buried in this "Pisky Kirkyard " is the headstone of

ROBERT ALEXANDER WATSON - WATT and his wife : The headstone records this:

In Memory of ROBERT ALEXANDER WATSON- WATT , Kt CB, LLD, DSc, FRS 1892 - 1973 father of RADAR

and his wife KATHERINE JANE TREFUSIS FORBES DBE, LLD 1899 - 1971 AIR CHIEF COMMANDANT W. A. A . F .

--------------------

I see in the recent newspapers in Angus that Brechin is organising a Memorial to Robert Alexander Watson - Watt for his fame in inventing RADAR . I sent the newspaper cutting down to the Imperial War Museum - Inventory of War Memorials and I got an email back saying that Watson - Watt was not a Soldier etc hero so they would not be listing the Memorial to him ! I pointed out that they have Churchill etc in their index and he was not in the Trenches of WW2 either but we would be speaking German if it was not for Watson- Watt and his radar ! That ended the email query with them in the IWM in London ...

Good photo's again Pat very nice one's of the stain glass windows very hard to take, at the best of times.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Joe ,

thought that you would like this memorial in the "Pisky" Kirk in Pitlochry as it has Two casualties of the 6th BW from the Great War Listed on that one memorial .

Pat, my wife and I have just returned from a month in New Zealand and based at my sisters house in Russell Bay of Islands. While there we became regulars at the Returned Services Association club where we were made very welcome and they certainly know how to entertain guests. During one of our visits I picked up a copy of their magazine called RSA Riview and low and behold inside was an aticle written by you regarding the the headstone of 2nd LT Aleck Campbell Craig RAF .It also contained a photo of yourself placing a small cross by the grave so it was also nice for me to put a face to the man who does so much for the web site. If you have not been sent a copy of the Review , send me your address on a PM and I will be glad to send it to you.Bill Gunning (AKA)Myway!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast