Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd Royal Highlanders

3rd Royal Highlanders

Hi folk,

I am posting this here as I am sure Pat will give us some history on this.

Tam Cameron told me about a photo that appeared in the East Fife Mail yesterday.

Tam said:

"The East Fife Mail today has a pic of men of the third royal highlanders, before leaving Fort George for France, sent in by John Armour jnr who's I think father and brother were in pic. Brother David was wounded at the Somme, lost a leg, formally of Montrave cres and Waggon Rd."

I got in touch with the East Fife Mail and the Editor, Jerzy Morkis has supplied me with a copy, on the proviso that nobody copies or reproduces this photo for any purpose.

Thanks go to John Armour Jnr for supplying the photo.

Re: 3rd Royal Highlanders

Well done Tam for acquiring the photo

That's real piece of historical photography, I wait now for Pat's usual historical write up
    Al
    Al

Hi tam
    jist like al a gret pic canna wait tae see pts write up on this
    sandy

great photo,s tam,

nellie

Chalkie,
    If you ask Sandy, Nellie, and Al they might be able to remember them all, it was about there time in.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Ye trying tae say something that we are ower the hill ye young whipper snapper
    sandy

They didnae hae numbers then, they all knew each other!!!Bill...

Thanks Tam for the pic and the kindness of the newspaper editor in allowing the pic to be published for our use only.

I know that there are a number of 3rd Bn BW war graves from that Battalion at Cromarty (village ) in Ross & Cromarty as they were at Nigg early in the war before going overseas to France ...

3rd (Reserve ) Bn Black Watch : formed 4 Aug 1918 Perth , 8 Aug 1914 to Nigg in Ross shire , **** Nov 1917 to Aghada Queenstown Ireland then 24 March 1918 to the Curragh where it remained

Ive had a look at the Great War medal roll at the National Archives at Kew and they list TWO privates in the Black Watch called John Armour

Pte S /8916 John Armour and Pte S/ 5006 John Armour but no battalion details for either other than the Royal Highlanders

There were No David Armour's in the Royal Highlanders listed although they were 10 named David Armour in the medal roll from different Regiments or corps .

Had a check to see if there were any Armours in the Black Watch with a middle name of David but there were none shown ..

**** Ive just read in the pages of the 3rd Special Reserve Battalion page 347 ( A History of the black Watch in the Gr War edited by Major General A G Wauchope ) that " Orders were received for the first draft of 1 officer and 93 men who left for France on the 26th August under Lt A V Holt .

Lt RD Nolan took out the second draft on the 30th Aug and Lt C. BOWES-LYON , the third , on the 11th Sept both drafts being of 1 Officer and 93 men. On the 19th Sept Capt Sir Edward Stewartp Richardson and Lt Nigel Graham left with 186 men. Following the casualties on the AISNE , orders were received on 20th Sept fo a large number of junior officers (several having just left Sandhurst) to proceed to France tobe posted to different Highland regiments and by the middle of October almost every trained Officer below the rank of Major and all trained men available had left for France.

Of the Officers who left for France with the first few drafts the 3rd Bn suffered VERY HEAVILY Capts D F Campbell, DSO, AE Parker, PL Moubray, C Boddam Whelham, Lts ACR McNaughton, RD Nolan, CL BOWES-LYON and 2nd Lt Neil McNeill being Killed while Sir Edward Stewart -Richardson died in london from wounds received at the battle of the AISNE

There is a casualty list in the rear section of that Battalion pages

Hi Pat,

Thanks for this. As I said in my first post, you have supplied some history.

I am glad that I got in touch with Jerzy. I emailed the paper again and asked them to pass on our thanks to John Armour Jnr.

Thanks chalky . I see from the Soldiers & officers died in the Great War - 3rd Bn BW : there were 37 other ranks killed /died of wounds or died and 53 Officers listed with that bn casualties and it shows that a number were " on attachment" to other battalions when they became casualties

I see a number of men were from Fife and from Forfarshire as well as other locations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast