Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guardsman's name on War Memorial

Re: Guardsman's name on War Memorial

You are right Al Eddie was shot at the bus depot, the tour just before HK.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Wonder if there is a name plaque on the place where he came from in the North of England .....

Charnley and Robertson were both shot at the Srand bus depot a couple of days before we left NI to prepare for Hong Kong.
    Robertson who was shot in the face survived and eventually joined us in Hong Kong,he stayed on in HK when we left.
    Eddie Charnley unfortunately did not survive and his death was due to his wound which resulted in drowning in his own blood.
    We all went to Preston where he stayed,his coffin was borne on a gun carrage and the whole town turned out and lined the long route.
    Sad but very impressive,he seemingly was a well known character and was involved in many youth groups.

Ive emailed my friend who lives in the Lancashire area to see if he has any info or photos of the war memorial at Preston to see if EDDIE CHARNLEY is listed on that Memorial .

This is his website that lists WW1 & WW2 war graves & War Memorials around the world

http://ww1cemeteries.com

Info from the webmaster of the WW 1 & 2 Cemeteries & War memorials website and he says that the Preston main war memorial does not have casualty names on it . He states that there are other war memorials in the surrounding areas of Preston and they have he thinks casualty names on them . he has recommended that I should email the Preston Council offices to ask them for this required info on war memorial casualty names

http://www.preston.gov.uk

I've just checked the ARMED FORCES MEMORIAL index in Staffs and I see that

LANCE CORPORAL 24177166 EDWIN CHARNLEY , BLACK WATCH was born 15 December 1948 in Preston Lancs. He was aged 22 years when he was killed 18 NOVEMBER 1971 . He was cremated at Preston Crematorium

Edwin Charnley is commemorated on the Palace Barracks Memorial Garden site.

The other BW fatality was Pte Mark D. Carnie Aged 18 who was killed by a remote IED on 19 July 1978.

At the time of his death he was attached to Queens Own Highlanders and was killed while on foot patrol in Dungannon, Co Tyrone.

I remember that incident,Iwas a member of the funeral party which was furnished by Bravo Company 1st Black WaTCH (RHR) / Queen's Own Highlanders, WO2 Mike Smith (AKA Starchy ) was i/c.

Seems that the Dedication service to Scots Guardsman George Lockhart went well and was also well attended on Wednesday 23 July .

I saw the Scottish tv news reports on the event whilst we were on CalMac ferry at Stornoway , Isle of Lewis

Originally Posted By: patrick anderson
    What about the BLACK WATCH ASSOCIATIONS attending as the Black Watch had a casualty from Northern Ireland :

Pte 24084350 R Y Rattray " Big Wull" who died on 1 December 1971

Hello Pat, I am " Big Wull's " wee brother and my siter Elaine and I would like to say heartfelt Thank You for the poppies & kind words put on Ronnie's grave and most of all for " Remembering " him.
    Our whole family served the regiment Grandfather / Father / Uncle and of course .`Ronnie's name would not appear on the memorial as he died of natural caues " enlarged heart " which was never picked up by military doctors on different occasions and we were led to believe a mil doctor thought it was effects of " drinking habit " making him ill and of course the end came very quick ( we were informed the mil doctors concerned were being dealt with ) .
    The Regiment respectfully offered my Mum & Dad a military funeral , which they accepted , they never ever got over it & Dad always blamed himself.
    The support from The Regiment & Ron's muckers was very much needed by us and if we did'nt say thanks at the time then " Thank You Lads " .
    My Dad stuttered badly after Burma and could never voice his feelings the way I'm sure he really wanted to when he got emotional and Mum was suffering ilness herself , so its a long time coming but on their behalf Thank You Black Watch !

Ron's beautiful mil grave is set apart from the "died in action" graves for that reason , we are very proud of it and it is only now we can visit without hurting .

I myself went to recruiting office in Arbroath in 1969 and the BW recruiting sergeant was across the road at The Royal (PH )having luncheon [img]/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] , I ended up in the Scots Guards ( my Da's raised eyebtow said it all )!!
    I will post some pics on my next post but Thanks again Pat , much appreciated by us .

Keith
    If there's no bread I'll just have toast !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast