Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SULTAN PIPES UP TO SCOTTISH COMPANY -

SULTAN PIPES UP TO SCOTTISH COMPANY -

COURIER & ADVERTISER Monday 2 June 2008:

Sultan pipes up to Scottish Company:

The Ruler of a Middle Eastern oil state has asked Scots craftsmen to redesign the bagpipes - because he wants his band to be able to play while sitting on their camels , it was revealed yesterday.

The Sultan of Oman wants to stop his pipers suffering mouth injuries and having their teeth knocked out while riding the hump-backed animals across the desert.

The Omanis have turned to top manufacturers McCullum Bagpipes to solve the problem.

The Kilmarnock firm has designed a flexible blowpipe that bends as the so called "ships of the desert" move up and down as they lope across the sands.

The modifications means the blowpipes cannot hurt the pipers' teeth like the regular rigid types could in the circumstances.

The Omani military and police have seven pipe bands , two of which are camel -mounted.

McCallum Bagpipes director Stuart McCallum said yesterday, " I was amazed when our distributor in Oman told us they wanted camel- friendly pipes.

"I designed the device using computer technology.

"It's a flexible plastic tube that bends as the camel moves and can be adjusted in length depending on how tall the piper is .

"There's a padded bit on the tip as well as extra comfort"

The invention was welcomed by the Omani pipers when McCallum's took them to the country to demonstrate .

Fellow McCalum's director , Kenny Macleod said, "one of the Royal Guard 's three pipebands play on camels and the Royal Oman Police also have camel -mounted pipers.

"We stayed in the Royal Guard Officers' mess in the capital Muscat.

"We didn't meet the Sultan but we did see the brigadier who oversees all the military music and he liases directly with the ruler.

"The Omanis explained some of the pipers had lost teeth while playing so they were delighted with the prototype .

"Since we've got back they've asked for more samples to be sent over so the top brass can approve them .

"Hopefully we'll get an order for about 150"

The bendy blowpipes are also being tested by top Scots group the RED HOT CHILLI PIPERS who play rock tunes on the pipes.

Mr MacLeod said,"We presented them with a set of custom-made pipes recently and were intrigued when they heard about the device.

"They dance about on stage, bumping into each other and have injured their mouths on their blowpipes inthe past."

McCallum's have been selling pipes to Oman for over five years and are bidding for a much more valuable order tahn the blowpipes in the run up to the Sultan's 40th Anniversary in 2010.

Mr Macleod said last night" They're preparing for the big celebrations and want to standardise the bands with same drums and style of pipes .

"We gave a presentation to al the band chiefs and there's potential to sell them about 130 sets of pipes and a lot of drums "

Re: SULTAN PIPES UP TO SCOTTISH COMPANY -

Hope Ive transcribed all that correctly from the newspaper but thought the pipers out there might like to see this story in the Courier & Advertiser ( Angus & Mearns edition) and possibly other ones too ....

Pat, Thanks for posting this.

Theres a guy in our band, an ex Scots DG piper who was the first Pipe Major of one of the Omani mounted bands, this was back in the mid 80s. He was recruited to train them to play on horseback.

When he arrived in Oman none of his recruits could ride or play the pipes - quite a challenge eh? By the time he left they were very competent at both - they rode Arab style, ie no stirrups.

There have been a couple of Black Watch lads out there over the years too.

I play MacCallum Bagpipes - they are the worlds largest producers of the instrument,and the company have a good after sales reputation.
    Brig 0`Don(McBean VC Plt /P&D).1980-82.
    1BW.P&D 82-88.

The truth will out!

I think you will find that Robert Barnes has also been out there for approx 3 yrs in the 80's from Queens own.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Aye Phil there have been quite a few from most of the Scottish Regiments over the years.Pete Robson and Monty were both out there at one time.

Two of my Piping instructors were out there (John Bruce & Iain Macey - both Scots DG). They were Pipe Majors of the Omani Army (Infantry) Pipe Band and Omani AirForce Pipe Band repectively.
    1BW.P&D 82-88.

The truth will out!

It is hard to keep track of our boys at the best of times, like Roberts, twa lads have left his pipe band and are with Fife Police and his cousin David is PM of the Edinburgh bobbies.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Phil, I see that the Fife Constabulary are doing very well so far this season.Bet theres not many real Polis playing with them though.

They are being run by Jim Murray from Cupar and Andrew Matheson - both were previously with Shotts.

I didnt know that David was with Edinburgh Polis - last time I saw him he was with Dysart I think???
    1BW.P&D 82-88.

The truth will out!

There is a lot of shotts pipers gone over to the Fife lads and good on them in there results, David came back from Aussie and not sure what pb he was with the next my dad said he was with Edinburgh, all in the family you see.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

It doesnt surpise me that a lot of lads have left Shotts - I was reliably told that a former Scots Guards Pipe Major was getting dropped from the band at competitions last season!

Jim Murrays brother David is also wih Fife Polis - another good soloist. The Andrew Matheson that I mention is I believe the son of Bob Matheson Pipie of Shotts.

I was listening to Davids CD "Enlightenment" the other day.
    1BW.P&D 82-88.

The truth will out!

bob is still pm but when it comes too the comps he is marking fife very low indeed. My cousins lads are great soloist also beating there dad quite a lot.
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast