Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kiwi airman killed on fall on Ben Nevis in 1919

Re: Kiwi airman killed on fall on Ben Nevis in 191

Patrick and Dick

Thank you both so much for your persistence in searching for Alexander's relatives.

According to my family tree software Alexander was my second cousin twice removed. I am descended from his grandfather's younger sister, and I don't have much information on later members of Alexander's branch of the family.

I am a member of a Craig group that includes members in New Zealand as well as Canada and here in Australia and I have sent a message to them hoping that someone in New Zealand will respond.

I will report back on my progress.

Cheers
    Carole

Excellent Carole , thanks for that info !

Im hoping also to see if any Auckland area newspapers will take up the story to find any present day next of kin

Just thought that you might like to hear that this fatal fall story has been published in the FEBRUARY 2009 edition of the SCOTS MAGAZINE as the editor accepted my story about the fatal fall on 9th February 1919 .. They have even published my picture at the War Grave of 2nd Lieutenant Aleck Campbell Craig, NZEF and RAF

90 years ago tomorrow afternoon the fatal fall happened and it was dealt with by the Procurator Fiscal at Fort William as a fatal accident and the PF was the informant on the Death Certificate so I have not traced who the other officer was who went with the young NZ airman as the Oban Times only mentions a colleague officer so not named .

I hear also that the RSA of New Zealand (which is the equivalent to the Royal British Legion Scotland) is to do a write up in their Magazine about the RAF Cadet Aleck C Craig , RAF who was awarded the hon rank of 2nd Lieutenant RAF after his death

The SCOTS MAGAZINE for FEBRUARY 2009

Page 216 has the write up about the fatal fall just 90 years ago a few days ago under the heading " CASUALTY OF WAR " .

Maybe you will have read my write up in this well known magazine that even reported the Battle of Culloden so the magazine has been gone a few years !

Do you get the SCOTS MAGAZINE Al in Australia ?

Yes Pat, great read, Just got an old copy from 2002 and reading about Culloden and Argyll

Should get my February copy any day now

Al
    Al

Al

thought you would have got your copy of the Scots Magazine by now for February 2009 as friends in Bairnsdale Victoria Australia have had their copy a puckle weeks now as they emailed me re the article.

Thank you Bill for forwarding the Returned Services Assoc Review of New Zealand to me that has my pic and write up in its pages .

That must have been a shock for you to see my pic & write up about 2nd Lieut Aleck Campbell Craig, NZEF & RAF in the magazine all these 12,000 miles away from Scotland . Seems that the RSA Review editor thought it a good story to do this story on and to remember casualties of the Great War who were not casualities on the Field of Battle or from disease /illness in lands away from home but as a result of a fatal fall on the Ben in Inverness shire in Scotland

Lieut Craig's grave is well maintained by the locals at Kilmallie old cemetery near Corpach ( Fort William )

The SCOTTISH GENEALOGY SOCIETY March 2010 VolLVII No 1 has an article over 1000 words long called " The Story behind the Stone: Fatality on Ben Nevis , 1919 : 2nd Lieut Aleck Campbell Craig , NZEF & RAF " By Patrick W Anderson .

Sources :

The Scottish Genealogist : June 1994 " A Scottish Soldier of the Great War - Lieut Patrick W Anderson."
    The Oban Times 1919
    Death Certificate Alexander Campbell Craig 1919 Lochaber
    Auckland Grammar School Mag 1919
    RAF Casualty Card Cadet /2nd Lt AC Craig RAF
    Errol Martyn's Volumes of NZ airmen who lost their lives from 1915
    IGI Family group record - Joseph Craig born 1803 Paisley
    CWGC index
    Auckland War Memorial Museum Auckland - Cenotaph Database

Acknowledgements

Gary McGuigan New Zealand
    Paul Phillips , New Zealand