Re: Keeping Paddy’s memory alive

All in favour Aye. Passed

Pat,

Have a look at this:

Army Cyclist Corps (UK)

There are a few links on the pages

thanks Chalky , the regiments org does not have enough info for what I need so Im in contact with a contact from Scots at War Trust to see what she can help me with and I am now working through my cd rom of Soldiers died in the Great War and Officers died working out the casualties from the Highland Cyclist Bn in contrast to the 52nd Lowland Div Cyclist Company which seems to have got a hammering in Egypt and Gallipoli ...

Thanks Chalky and my friends , Al, Willie and Joe .

PS : Al sent a message along to Ronnie P at Balhousie saying hello to him from you but not had a reply yet from him

Pat, check out this site also Chalky.
    http://www.aftermathww1.com/davidireland.asp
    Joe

Thanks Joe for that and I am sure Chalky and others will find this website of use ...

Colonel Norman Evelyn Leslie, 19th Earl of Rothes.

In 1911 he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel commanding the Highland Cyclist Battalion, which was badged to the Black Watch.

http://www.antiqbook.co.uk/boox/lit/28365.shtml

Thanks Chalky for that info . I have all the Scottish Infantry regiments Soldiers Died in the Great War books ( reprints ) but not No 77 that covers the Cyclist Bns but I seldom use them nowadays as I use the magic CD rom and up comes all the info I want even service numbers only or place of birth etc and it tells me everything compared to the "old days " when I had to wade through pages of books just to find the info I was after .. computers !

Aye, Pat, the school kids even talk about " Paddy " I,ve heard the older kids explaining to the younger ones, exactly what why the grave is there, The kids do show respect, or the headstone weould have been damaged by now,
    nellie

Thanks Nellie for that info and yes, it seems to be a new story for the townsfolk. Its got even as far out as Letham (Angus) where my wife spoke to the staff at the Letham Craft Shop about the newspaper reports and these staff are to look for the headstone ! So the news has got to Letham !!

Found out this week through a phone call that the wee dog of the Highland Cyclist Bn was a Terrier of some sort. An old Courier written by historian Colin Gibson has a mention of the tented camp when he was a wee boy in the town and the regimental dog Paddy . he also mentioned the HCB used fold up pedal cycles whereas an "informant" to the Courier Craigie column last week from Fife mentioned that the HCB used pedal cycles fitted with a bracket to hold their rifle or lewis gun !

Thought this extra info would be of info

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast