Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Paddy’s memory alive

Keeping Paddy’s memory alive

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Article from Courier - 29-01-08

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Keeping Paddy’s memory alive

<span style='font-size: 8pt'>Mr Anderson places a cross at Paddy’s grave.

AN ARBROATH man laid a wreath at the grave of a regimental dog yesterday, as he has done for almost 10 years.

Paddy was the 2/1 Highland Cyclist Battalion’s regimental dog from October 1914 until its death on January 28, 1918, at the battalion camp at McDonald Park, Arbroath.

Patrick Anderson, who was a police sergeant in Yorkshire, grew up in Arbroath and would often visit Paddy’s grave in Keptie Wood with his father William.

Since he retired from the police he has laid a wreath at the grave on the anniversary of the dog’s death and on Armistice Day.

He said, “When I was a young boy living with my late parents near the Keptie Pond my parents would take me for a Sunday afternoon walk to the Keptie Pond and on to see the grave.

“I was told also in the 1950s and 1960s that Mr John Clyde, the parks and cemeteries department superintendent, used to lay a wreath at the grave of Paddy each anniversary of his death on January 28 and I also heard that he continued that honour during his years after retiral in 1968.

“I said that when I retired back to live in Angus after my police service I would continue this laying of a poppy cross at the grave of Paddy so since 1999, when I returned home, my wife Diane and I have laid a poppy cross at the grave on Armistice Sunday each year and on the anniversary of Paddy’s death.”

Mr Anderson added that he would like to hear from people who knew Paddy or had heard stories about the dog.

He added, “It would seem that the soldiers thought a lot about him and buried him in Keptie Wood.

“At the time of his death the Army Cyclist Corps were in training in Arbroath during the Great War.”

Re: Keeping Paddy’s memory alive

Well done Pat, a very moving story.
    Al
    Al

thank you for everrything you do it helps keep a bit of sanity about me.

Willie
    served 1972 - 1985 with the Regiment then transferred to MPSC in Colchester

Well done Pat. Keeping Paddy's memory alive.
    Joe

Yesterday at 11 am (28 January 2008) my wife Diane and I were at the grave in Arbroath ( OS Ref 633. 411 ) and when we arrived the poppy cross that we placed at the wee dog's grave was still there which was good to know ! There was a gathering of the public at the gravestone and we wondered why they were there but some said that they had seen a bit in the Arbroath Herald of Friday 25th Jan about us laying a poppy cross at 11am on the Monday so they came along . One retired man who grew up in Fergus Square near the Mc Donald Park said that he had heard about the wee dog from his parents and another couple from Dumfries said they saw the story in the papers at the weekend so came along as it just interested them ! Wonderful to see the public take such an interest .........

The (Aberdeen ) Press & Journal of today has a large colour photo of me at the grave and a write up as the newspaper editor must have liked the story up in his offices in Aberdeen to send a photographer to the grave yesterday.

The Arbraoth Herald too sent a photographer yesterday to the grave and I hear that there will be a further photo and write up in their paper which comes out on Friday . It may manage into this weeeks editions ! Will keep you posted on that or someone fae Arbroath like Nellie will update us on the Arbroath herald story .

Thanks again Al in Australia .

Well done pat
    JTR Rhyl 1970 - 72
    BW 1972 - 95

Thanks Philip ( Livingston ), Joe ( Armagh), Willie (Colchester),and Al ( Bandanoon Aus) for the commends and will wait for the Arbroath Herald on Friday possibly if it caught their deadline this week as its no longer published in the toon .

Just been into Arbroath and even the fish shop where we had fish suppers mentioned the Wee Dog story and other shops on the High Street too .. all did not know about the grave and some walk past to get home from work they said but now they said they would hae a look for it !

There is a new book tile here Pat:

How to bring a community together in one easy lesson.

Good on you Pat.

Pat we should nominate you as "community person of the year"
    Well done
    Al
    Al

i second that

willie
    served 1972 - 1985 with the Regiment then transferred to MPSC in Colchester

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast