Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glamis Castle

Glamis Castle

Glamis Castle this Easter time and as all of your will recall the Bowes-Lyons tend to serve in either the Black Watch or the Scots Guards.

In the castle are the laid up regimental flags of the Black Watch and the Scots Guard. Some of you now reading this will have attended the famous event in the Black Watch history in the recent years of being at Glamis Castle when the Queen Mother was there or the earlier event when the Pipes and Drums of the Black Watch for their 1990's video recording outside the front of the castle.

Pipe Major Alistair Duthie, Black Watch was then a Cpl in the pipeband.The castle has on display a number of photographs etc of the family members in military uniforms and several of Capt The Hon Fergus Bowes- Lyon, 8 (Service) Bn The Black Watch in black and white and in colour.

I have a copy of the coloured photograph of Capt Fergus Bowes- Lyon, which I am very pleased to have in my archive. I know that from talking to the Earl of Strathmore he has been to the LOOS MEMORIAL to the missing which lists his Great Uncle, Fergus.

Everyone too will know that Glamis Castle was used as a Military hospital in the Great War and that the Earl and Countess said that only Men (OR's ) should be patients at the castle.

During this time the Earl was out with a shooting party when some of the soldiers had overloaded the open fires and a fire had broken out in the room. The Forfar Fire Brigade and the Dundee Fire Brigade attended the fire but in the mean time the Queen Mother as she was later to be took command of the patients to pass buckets of water down the line until the Fire Brigade arrived from the County and City areas of Forfarshire as it was then ..

best wishes Pat.

Re: Glamis Castle

Great photos Pat, and I am sure everyone find your detailed background info very informative.

I am learning more from you pat everyday!

Jeff
    p.s. keep them coming!

Brilliant photo's and as stated very informative, every little bit of history is a bonus, thanks Al
    Al

Hi folks

You will notice that the flag on the Castle is the Earl's flag so it means that the Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne is in residence as they can not fly that flag when he's not in residence ...

Seriously Pat, have you ever thought of writing a book?

Wish that the old girl was still alive,our Regt was untouchable when she was around.

You are soooooooooo right

As I said before, bumpy, if she was around we would,nt be in the position, we are, there would still be a 1st Bn The Black Watch, ( RHR ), Great photo,s Pat, I visit Glamis regularly,
    Nellie

Pat
    Very Good
    Joe

Hi Joe,Nellie and others

Thanks for the comments and I too think that had we the Queen Mum still we would still have the Watch and maybe the other 5 Scottish Regiments that B liar and Broon axed !

In yesterdays Courier & Advertiser (Angus & Mearns edition ) at least there was a photo of BROOON outside his firms hoose in Downing Street receiving a visit from a piper in the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards with the Cd award ... Did not realise that Gordon Broon was interested in the Military !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast