Thread: Commando Memorial

Commando Memorial

On a recent trip around the Fort William area I thought our friends might like some pictures of the Commando Memorial which was crafted by Scott Sutherland (who was the man who did the WW2 Black Watch Memorial at Powrie Brae . This Spean Bridge monument was unveiled by HM Queen Elizabeth , the Queen Mother on 12 Sept 1952.

The Commandos training ground was in this area with its training Centre at Achnacarry as Cameron of Lochiel lent it to the HM Forces ...

I did not realise until recently that THOMAS TELFORD, was a Scot and he built bridges etc around Spean Bridge .

Another bit of interest for me was that South of Spean Bridge is High Bridge . It is abouta mile along the Kilmonivaig road. It is now a ruin but is famous in history as the place where the first shots were fired in the Jacobite Rebellion of 1745. Donald MacDonell of Tirnadris , with ELEVEN men and a piper from Keppoch's clan were guarding the bridge. They fooled Capt Scott and his column of 85 Government soldiers into believing that the bridge was strongly guarded so Scott ordered his men to turn about and retreat. A party of Highlanders overtook the Troops near Loch Oich and forced them to surrender ..

Best wishes Pat

Re: Commando Memorial

Brilliant photo's, and a nice short history lesson, thanks Al
    Al

Just been listening ti Isla St Clair singing Lament for the Commandos and Dunkirk, then, I found these pics. Really good, and a little disturbing.
    Malky

i remember the area well trained in the hills and on the water when i was a boy soldier at bridge of don regards brian.

These great photos bring back some memories for me. My wife and I were on a bus tour and I asked the driver if we went near the Commando Memorial as my brother had been a Commando during WW II. He said that unfortunately we did not however, this great gentleman went of his route and stopped at the Memorial for a thirty minute stop.
    It was quite cold and I remember having tears running down my face , thinking of my brother. Being a serving member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police at the time, it was my job to direct the driver through the tight turns and down the road.
    I tipped the driver well, and have never forgotten my thirty minute stop.
    Thanks for the memories.

Bob LITTLE
    Canada
    God Bless "The Watch" Now And Forever

Hi Bob

good to hear your wee story and the story of your good tour driver who took you that way just to see the Commmando Memorial.

I was interested to know that you served in the RCMP as one of my Mum's Cousins was in the RCMP from 1919 to 1949 when he retired as Staff Sgt in Toronto. When I was in the police myself as a Sgt, in 1990 I was in contact with the RCMP in Toronto and mentioned my 2nd cousin, Andrew Maxwell Veitch and I was told they had just been to his 90th Birthday party so I "found " him again . For his 100th birthday he wore his Scottish clan tie and said that as he was a Scot ( Peterhead by birth ) he had to get his full share of his RCMP pension ... he died two weeks short of his 102nd birthday so we said that he must have had enough from his police pension. His father , Andrew Veitch had been in the 42nd Black Watch in the 1880s and had joined the prison Service in Peterhead prison and in 1899 he was called up for service in the 1899 - 1902 Boer war and promoted sgt in the Black Watch but en route to the battle fields of South Africa he got appendix problems and was put off at Malta for an op and the men went off to battle , some never to return home to Scotland and in 1904 Andrew Veitch , Prison Officer at Peterhead decided to farm in Canada so went off there . The eldest son , David Veitch was in the Canadian Infantry in action in France in 1914-1918 war and was wounded serveral times and in WW2 he was an instructor in Canada in the forces I heard.

Recently we had a visit of a daughter of RCMP Staff Sgt Andrew Maxwell Veitch (and family ) and we took them to Glamis castle and the Dundee Courier did a write up and photos of their visit and their story about her grandfather in the Black Watch and her father in the RCMP's .

best wishes
    pat