Thread: Black Watch May 1940

Smile Black Watch May 1940

Dear friends,
    First, thanks to the mods for finding a happy birthday in my mail...
    Was wondering if someone could help me with information about three BW servicemen who are buried here in the village, Anzegem (old spelling Anseghem). I would use the information in a Remembrance service.
    Would be grateful if someone could point out the way thes servicemen got killed. I already have been looking for info, the war diary 19th till end may 1940) would help. Normally the fightings were in the sector of the 44th division, still the three servicemen were part of the 4th Division (12th Bde.). That's the reason I'm a bit confused.
    Names:
    L/Sgt Malcolm DEWAR, 2748383 6/BW. + 1st June 1940
    Lt. Edward Francis Allardyce MORRISON 69450 . 6/7th BW (?) + 22 May 1940.
    2/Lt Ian Caldwell Perston SLOAN 73648 . 22 May 1940.

I used the info from CWGC register Belgium 19-113.
    Any information much appreciated.
    With kind regards from a windy Flanders,
    Jef

Hi Jef,

I have checked my books and the dates lead me to the Battle of Arras which started 21 May 1940.

Looking at the CWGC Site I downloaded the graves register and there is some information there. Numbers 1 to 12 all died May or Jun 1940.

Maybe if you could find out what Brigade these different units were part of would help.

doc1868916.jpg

doc5730151.jpg

doc5730155.jpg

I am puzzled by Lance Sergeant Malcolm Dewar.

His date of death is 1 June 1940 with his unit being listed as 6th Battalion.

On the 1st June 1940, the survivors of the 6th Battalion were on the beaches of Dunkirk.

The battalion first went to France as part of the 51st Highland Division in January 1940. Soon after this it was transferred to 12 Brigade of the 4th Division. It moved forward into Belgium on 13 May. On the 15th it dug in on the Seine canal six miles north of Brussels to hold a bridgehead for the withdrawal of the 3rd Division from Louvain. On the 17th the battalion in its turn was ordered to withdraw. In a series of moves followed by stops to hold the line, frequently enduring heavy shelling, it came to a halt on the 27th with orders to hold the line of the canal between Bousbecque and Warneton to the south west of Menin. But by now the Germans were outflanking their opponents on every front and the battalion became part of the retreat to Dunkirk. In the confusion of the next days two platoons became separated from the remainder of the battalion, as a result reaching England two days before the rest. The remainder of the survivors of the battalion reached the Dunkirk beaches on 1 June and in small groups were successfully evacuated to England. The whole battalion then reformed in the Isle of Wight as front line defence against the expected German invasion. It remained in England and Scotland until March 1943, when it was sent to take part in the final weeks of the campaign in Tunisia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peo...a8676804.shtml

If Lance Sgt Stewart has been left wounded in the area and died on the 1st, or his body was recorded as found and buried on that date, might that explain the anomaly?

Dear Chalky and JF42,
    First, apologies for my late answer. Thank you for the answers, but already found the info. It's always good to know my way of working is OK.
    I know this was a very chaotic period, and when servicemen got killed in a sector of another division, they might have fallen back on another defence line direction Dunkirk.
    Cpl Smith and L/Sgt Dewar who died in June, must have been DOW's. I have been looking in Anzegem archives but was not able to find info about them.
    Again thank you for your advice,
    Jef