Thread: Lieut George Frederick DELMAR-WILLIAMSON, Black Watch & RAF killed Flying 1918 UK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lieut George Frederick DELMAR-WILLIAMSON, Black Watch & RAF killed Flying 1918 UK

My wife Diane and i have been invited to attend St Peter's Church Lechhampton, Cheltenham on Sunday 17th November 2019 at 2pm for the Remembrance service for LIEUTENANT GEORGE FREDERICK DELMAR - WILLIAMSON, Black Watch (Royal Highlanders ) and Royal Flying Corps & Royal Air Force . The service is to be conducted by the Rev Gary Grady .

Lt G F Delmar - Williamson is buried in that Churchyard and the headstone records : Also in Loving Memory of GEORGE FREDERICK only son of FREDERICK AND EMILY DELMAR -WILLIAMSON, Lieut , in the Black Watch and RAF accidentally killed whilst flying over Chippenham on July 12th , 1918 , also interred here aged 19

Lt G F Delmar -Williamson is listed in the Army Lists as a 2nd Lieutant with the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders ) and commissioned 27th October 1916 and having served in France in 1917 he and another former Cheltenham College student were testing a plane when the machine crashed to the ground killing both young officers of the RAF on 12th July 1918 . The other RAF pilot was Capt Douglas Ridley Clunes Gabell , Gloucestershire Regiment and RAF . He is buried at another location

My wife is related to Lt Delmar - Williamson as she is related also to Major (later Colonel Cyprian Bridge , an officer during the Maori wars of the 1800s in New Zealand )

Sadly we can't attend this Memorial event

thought this may interest you Black Watch historians

patrick w anderson

I hear that the event went well on the sunday 17th November 2019 and there were around 60 who attended the event along with Air Vice Marshal Sir (Dusty ) George Miller (Rtd) , and Lt Col Mike Smith , Black Watch Association . Floral tributes were laid at the graveyard at the grave of Lt G F Delmar - Williamson , Black Watch RFC & RAF killed whilst flying in 1918 in the UK . Army lists show Lt G F Delmar - Williamson was commissioned into the Black Watch on 27th October 1916 and the April 1918 Air Force list shows he was listed Lieutenant in the RAF on 1st April 1918 as Aeroplanes and Seaplanes officers Lieutenants

kind regards to all
    patrick w anderson