Thread: Johnstone, Anderson, Miles and Fowler connection ? Help with stolen goods

Johnstone, Anderson, Miles and Fowler connection ? Help with stolen goods

My grandfather had a cigarette box with the black watch badge on it and the signatures of who look like
    Johnstone, Anderson, Miles and Fowler .. this was stolen and I have found it on a website but as i donít have a photo of it from before I am trying to find a connection as to why my GF had those names on a box
    Grandfather was in 1st Bt in Boer war and WW1 does anyone know if these men were together
    I canít make out the first bits maybe W Fowler, LG Miles, ? Anderson and B. C Johnstone. I think they were all officers.
    It would help my case to the auction house
    My GF was George Mitchell Richmond
    Last edited by Goodoogagirl; 22nd June 2019 at 10:48.

Hello sorry to hear about the circumstances of you finding the box in an auction. Do you know approximatley when it was taken. Was there a police report raised in the first instance of the box being stolen. If yes that will carry some weight in recovering it. If theres no report then you might have to buy it back before someone else gets it. Thats the sad situations re things found in auctions. W.Fowler might be Will Fowler who I think has been mentioned on this site before.

I have found that the items have been sold most likely to he UK.. they are still working on it. One item of interest here is the silver dipped bronze by Boehm a small copy of the the soldiers at the foot of the Duke of Wellington on Hyde corner. My grandfather loved the highlander as he was in the 1st Bt. All the items were sold together, the thief was clever and even engraved an MBE with an incorrect name to make it more saleable! My grandfather would be soooo disappointed that this is the state of the world today. So far from the behaviour he hoped for the world ahead.

Yes there is a police report and items also on artloss.