Thread: Private David Walker 2750901 died 15.10 1940

Private David Walker 2750901 died 15.10 1940

Hi All,

I live in France and decided to visit the War Graves in Périgueux Cemetery. The CWGC had listed them in the wrong cemetery, but have since corrected it after I contacted them.

I was intrigued to see the grave of Pte Walker and wondered how he came to die and be buried there. I have asked the question of The Black Watch Museum, The Army Museum in Périgueux and the Association of the Resistance. Hopefully, someone will respond and as soon as I have more information, I will post it.

I have attached some photographs of his gave. He is buried alongside two airmen from 151 Squadron. Originally, all of them were buried under a cross with a marble nameplate engraved and fixed to the cross. The CWGC have placed their tombstones in front of the crosses and the marble markers were placed at the foot of the grave. Unfortunately, Davids is no longer there. It would be nice to think that is in the hands of his family.
    From his tombstone, it mentions he had a daughter Doreen. Hopefully she is still alive and will get to see this post.

I have attached some photographs of the graves.

Paul

Private
    WALKER, DAVID
    Service Number 2750901

Died 15/10/1940

Aged 35

1st Bn.
    Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Son of William and Mary Ann Walker, of Dundee; husband of Mary Walker, of Dundee.

Remembered with honour
    PERIGUEUX NORTHERN COMMUNAL CEMETERY FRANCE
    Plot 9. Grave 3.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Bradford; 7th January 2019 at 16:07.

I can't find anything else out about David so this is a presumption.

David may have been one of the many soldiers that had escaped the Germans in Jun 40.

The escape route was South in Vichy (Free) France and then onto the UK via Spain or Portugal.

The stories I have read were about escapees crossing the border between France and Spain at a remote Customs Outpost on the Hills around Cerbère.

The Scottish National War Memorial lists David as being Black Watch and Tyneside Scottish. https://www.snwm.org/roll-search/?id...69febb8&page=1

Perhaps there might be more in the Tyneside Scottish History