Thread: William Campbell Mackenzie

William Campbell Mackenzie

Hi I am looking for any clues or help I can get about my Grandfather William Campbell Mackenzie born around 1892 in Tain in Scotland. We think he joined as young as possible in fact he may of lied about his age by a year to get in early. He was wounded a few times and ended up getting discharged due to ill health. He was in the Black Watch and married my Grandmother Violet Beer in Buckinghamshire. On his wedding certificate his fathers name was Walter.

He had a brother called John who died in the War, apparently he lost his legs and was being transported back when the ship he was on was sunk. I have his Death Penny. The only other thing i know is there was an auntie Aggie (who could have been his sister)

Any help on military numbers or family names would be fantastic.

Many Thanks

Stuart Campbell-Mackenzie
    (I have never been to scotland and it looks like my double barrelled surname actually took my grandads middle name by mistake)

Hi Stuart and welcome to the BW Forums,

I lived in a village called Fearn and another called Inver a few years ago. Both a few miles from Tain, however, Tain was our main place for shops, dentist, doctor etc.

I looked for William MacKenzie born in Tain in 1892 and found one who was born on 2 May 1892. His father was William and his mother was Isabella, maiden surname MacKenzie.

There are a lot of marriages throughout the Highlands of William MacKenzie to Isabella. Finding the correct family will need more information.

Do you have anything else like medals?

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Hi Stuart and welcome to the BW Forums,

I lived in a village called Fearn and another called Inver a few years ago. Both a few miles from Tain, however, Tain was our main place for shops, dentist, doctor etc.

I looked for William MacKenzie born in Tain in 1892 and found one who was born on 2 May 1892. His father was William and his mother was Isabella, maiden surname MacKenzie.

There are a lot of marriages throughout the Highlands of William MacKenzie to Isabella. Finding the correct family will need more information.

Do you have anything else like medals?
    Thankyou very much
    I have his marriage cert and it looks like his dad was Walter. He definately had some medals along with an honarable discharge due to injuries