During November 2018 I attended the unveiling of the new SCOTTISH WAR POETS MEMORIAL located in MAKARS COURT in Edinburgh (beside the Writers Museum ) . I was a guest as I am related to Black Watch Captain James Bell Salmond, 7th Black Watch from Arbroath who served in the Regiment during WW1 . Captain J B Salmond , Black Watch was one of a number of Scots War Poets of the Great War . The Rt Hon Lord Provost of the City of Edinburgh unveiled the memorial . The memorial had been draped with the SCOTLANDS WAR 1914-1919 Tartan that had been registered recently . At the base of the Memorial are the words of Neil Munro's poem called the " Lament for the Lads ".
" Sweet be their sleep now wherever they're lying,
Far though they be from the hills of their home"

Another Black Watch and War Poet listed in this publication of the Scottish Poetry Library is 2nd Lieutenant Hamish Mann, 8th Black Watch died of wounds 10th April 1917 .

The officials and guests were led from outside of St Giles Cathedral to the unveiling locus by the Pipes and Drums of the George Watson's College . I was later give a booklet compiled by the Scottish Poetry Library in Edinburgh listing 30 war poets that they have found over the recent research months and Black Watch Captain James Bell Salmond is one of the named .

Patrick W Anderson

Note
Neil Munro lost a son in WW1 Lieut Hugh A Munro , 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders kia 22 Sept 1915 Loos . Neil Munro is also known for his Para handy stories !