Back in 2017 I was at the Signal Tower Museum in Arbroath when I was informed by the staff that a Roll of Honour and Roll of Service for ERKSKINE U F CHURCH then in Commerce Street in Arbroath had been donated to the museum archive and I saw that there were 8 casualties of war listed and three long rows of men and women who had served and had come home from the war . At the base of the roll there were two painted figures one of a Navy sailor and a soldier and the Arbroath Abbey .

I took a note of the 8 names who were casualties of the war and started my research and found that all Eight were listed on the CWGC index but that only Seven were listed on the Scottish National War Memorial index at the Edinburgh Castle . I found that JOHN SCOTT BOATH was born in Arbroath and a butcher by trade and married and during August 1916 he was called up for war service and became a Private ( 3850 ) in the 3/ 5th The Black Watch and serving at Ripon Camp and then promoted to Cpl ( 262469 ) with the 450th Home Service Employment Coy attached to the Gordon Highlanders but during 1919 he was hospitalised at Edinburgh Castle Military Hospital where he died from influenza and pneumonia. He is buried in the Arbroath Western Cemetery compartment P grave 109.

I compiled a file and submitted it to the Trustees of the Scottish National War Memorial at the Edinburgh Castle and recently received a notification that Cpl John Scott Boath had been accepted as a casualty of the Great War and his name will be added to the Roll at the SNWM the castle in Edinburgh and their website will list his name and details of his service .

Patrick W Anderson