Thread: Help finding Web site for posting WW2 Normandy pic, please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help finding Web site for posting WW2 Normandy pic, please

Good morning all,

A newbie here, and seeking help.

My father, Captain John Weir Murray (known as Ian Murray) of Dundee went to Normandy on D-Day+6, and fought with the Black Watch in and around Tilly sur Seulles/ the Rauray ridge (among many other locations). He was injured but survived, and lived in Australia until he passed away in 2012.

When he was still fit and well, we visited several of his battlefields so I could see and hear about these first hand. I have returned many times, and discovered more about the experiences of people in the towns, villages, and farms, through their sons and daughters.

My sister has now discovered a wartime photograph of him, which I would like to post on a “whatever happened to…” type website, and perhaps help fill another piece in the Normandy Landings jigsaw puzzle.

I did see such a site which included pictures of those lost in battle, as well as others who survived, updating their details, but can no longer find it.

Does it ring a bell with anyone? All suggestions welcome. Apologies if this has been asked before.

Thanks in anticipation, and a forthcoming Happy New Year to you all.

Alan Murray
    Sussex
    UK

Hi Alan and welcome to the forum,

It wouldn't be the Imperial War Museum, the National Archives or the BBC WW2 Peoples War? http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/categories/

Websites

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Hi Alan and welcome to the forum,

It wouldn't be the Imperial War Museum, the National Archives or the BBC WW2 Peoples War? http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/categories/
    Hi and thanks, Chalky - will study these in more detail, but the BBC project seems to have been archived, whereas the one I saw was open for submissions.

My own fault for not logging it :-(

Hi Alan,

This forum - http://ww2talk.com/index.php

Search Page

Click Here

and another Here

ww2talk forum,great stuff with lots to look forward to reading,got it on my favourites, thanks Chalky. Bill...

Thank you!

Excellent and thanks, Chalky