Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Looking for Oscar Land 2nd Battalion

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3

    Looking for Oscar Land 2nd Battalion

    I am looking for any information about Oscar Land (or possibly Lšnd). He is a missing link in my wife’s family tree. Several of her ancestors were in the Black Watch and this gentleman is her great grandfather. Her grandparents were Oswald Howard Leicester (1879-1953) who was also in the 2nd Battalion and Mabel Hettie Land. They married in India and their marriage certificate lists Oscar Land as her father.

    To date i have been unable to find anything out about Oscar. My wife’s uncle had told us that Oscar was in the 2nd Battalion and a Google search produces the following result http://limerickslife.com/military-cemetery/ showing that an Oscar Land of the 2nd Battalion lost his three year old son Oscar Osbourne in 1892 in Limerick. The dates all appear to match up - the 2nd Battalion were based in Limerick at the time and Mabel Hettie was born in 1887 so would have been alive at this time.

    Can anybody help please to find the elusive Oscar Land or shed some light on his military history. The family story is that Oscar was Danish but does this make sense? Would Danish soldiers be in the Black Watch?
    Last edited by Iom2Salop; 28th December 2018 at 12:20.

  2. #2
    Administrator Chalky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Iom2Salop View Post
    I am looking for any information about Oscar Land (or possibly Lšnd). He is a missing link in my wife’s family tree. Several of her ancestors were in the Black Watch and this gentleman is her great grandfather. Her grandparents were Oswald Howard Leicester (1879-1953) who was also in the 2nd Battalion and Mabel Hettie Land. They married in India and their marriage certificate lists Oscar Land as her father.

    To date i have been unable to find anything out about Oscar. My wife’s uncle had told us that Oscar was in the 2nd Battalion and a Google search produces the following result http://limerickslife.com/military-cemetery/ showing that an Oscar Land of the 2nd Battalion lost his three year old son Oscar Osbourne in 1892 in Limerick. The dates all appear to match up - the 2nd Battalion were based in Limerick at the time and Mabel Hettie was born in 1887 so would have been alive at this time.

    Can anybody help please to find the elusive Oscar Land or shed some light on his military history. The family story is that Oscar was Danish but does this make sense? Would Danish soldiers be in the Black Watch?
    Hi Iom2Salop and welcome to the BW forums,

    Can you tell us the date of Mabel's wedding in India and any information on parents? Who did Oscar marry?

    The 2nd Bn were not in India until 1902 and remained there until 1914. The 1st Bn were there from 1896 -1901.

    Going by the death of Oscar Osbourne, I estimated the Oscar you are looking for to have been born sometime between 1855 and 1865. Using family search I came up with 6 records from that time. Two were of interest. Oscar Land filed in the Chelsea Pensioners' Service Records and the census record from 1861 with Oscar being 2 years of age.












    This is just guess work but hopefully the wedding certificate can tell us more.

    I can't view Oscars Pension records but they can be found on Ancestry or Find My Past.

    National Archive ref is WO97

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thank you Chalky, what a pleasure it is to get a response.

    Mabel Hettie Land married Oswald Howard Leicester on 8 August 1904 in Kasauli, Bengal, India at which time Oswald was 25 and Mabel was 17. The two fathers are listed as Joseph Leicester and Oscar Land. I have not been able find out who Oscar Land married nor any information on his parents.

    The dates you gave me for the 2nd Battalion being in India work well for the marriage don’t they? I do know from work done by my wife and my father the following information about Oswald Howard

    Oswald Howard Leicester served with the 2nd Battalion. From his regimental number, he would appear to have enlisted c. late June/early July 1897. He was wounded and taken prisoner at the Battle of Magersfontein, 11 December 1899. He was later released

    I assume if Oscar Land was also in the 2nd Battalion that he also served in South Africa but I haven’t been able to find anything to confirm this.

    Thank you again for your response. I hope the secondary information I have provided may be of some use.

  4. #4
    Administrator Chalky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Iom2Salop View Post
    I assume if Oscar Land was also in the 2nd Battalion that he also served in South Africa but I haven’t been able to find anything to confirm this.
    Hi again,

    I never checked SA until this morning.

    This is possibly the man you are looking for as it is from the BW Medal Roll for the 2nd Bn in SA.


  5. #5
    Administrator Chalky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,850
    A quick look at Find my Past and Ancestry brings up Land as I mentioned before. I don't subscribe to either of the sites but if you someone who does they may get the information for you.

    From Ancestry.


  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thank you again Chalky. It looks to me as though his future son-in-law served at the same time as him and in the same places. I had information that suggests his details are on the same page (224) as Oscar on the Medal Roll. His details are as follows:

    6687 Cpl (Sgt) Leicester, O H

    Would you mind checking if this is correct please?

  7. #7
    Administrator Chalky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Quote Originally Posted by Iom2Salop View Post
    Thank you again Chalky. It looks to me as though his future son-in-law served at the same time as him and in the same places. I had information that suggests his details are on the same page (224) as Oscar on the Medal Roll. His details are as follows:

    6687 Cpl (Sgt) Leicester, O H

    Would you mind checking if this is correct please?
    He is 3 down from Lawson G.

    Same medal entitlement as Oscar

    Leicester O H.jpg

  8. #8
    Administrator Chalky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,850
    Here is a link to a file in Google Drive. It contains some PDF's relevant to the 2nd Battalion.

    The give you an idea of what Oscar and Oswald went through.

    Let me know if you can't access the file.

    Click Here

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •