Thread: Looking for Oscar Land 2nd Battalion

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking for Oscar Land 2nd Battalion

I am looking for any information about Oscar Land (or possibly Lšnd). He is a missing link in my wife’s family tree. Several of her ancestors were in the Black Watch and this gentleman is her great grandfather. Her grandparents were Oswald Howard Leicester (1879-1953) who was also in the 2nd Battalion and Mabel Hettie Land. They married in India and their marriage certificate lists Oscar Land as her father.

To date i have been unable to find anything out about Oscar. My wife’s uncle had told us that Oscar was in the 2nd Battalion and a Google search produces the following result http://limerickslife.com/military-cemetery/ showing that an Oscar Land of the 2nd Battalion lost his three year old son Oscar Osbourne in 1892 in Limerick. The dates all appear to match up - the 2nd Battalion were based in Limerick at the time and Mabel Hettie was born in 1887 so would have been alive at this time.

Can anybody help please to find the elusive Oscar Land or shed some light on his military history. The family story is that Oscar was Danish but does this make sense? Would Danish soldiers be in the Black Watch?
    Last edited by Iom2Salop; 28th December 2018 at 12:20.