Thread: Black Watch Roll of Honour ( WW2 )

Black Watch Roll of Honour ( WW2 )

Hello,

I cannot for the life of me, find a specific roll of honour for the Black Watch ( WW2 ). I am not even sure one exists. As the family tells it, my grandad`s brother died apparently just before the battle of Caen, at the " Bois de Bavent " - Here though, I have no evidence, he is buried in Raneville and died 22.06.44 - which would make sense. He is of course like all who died during the war ,on the Scottish Roll of Honour. Specifics there are not, maybe more on the Black Watch Roll of Honour ?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, that is him.

Hi Monty,

He is found here:

http://www.blackwatch.50megs.com/b1str.htm

I am a member of Find a Grave and have requested a Photo of his headstone. The TWGPP charge you 4 for a digital copy.

A Volunteer from Find A Grave will pick up my request and get a photo posted.

You can also become a member of Find A Grave. When a member you can ask to edit details and also leave a message and virtual flowers etc.

The SNWM may have more details that are not published. Email them and ask.

His name is on the War Memorial in Idle, Yorkshire

Hello Chalky,

Thank you for your help. The one thing that does not make sense though, is the above website seems to know he died at the " Bois de Bavent " although how does it know this ? How can it be sure. I know all the details of what is on the inscriptions and so on. That is my question - where does this website get its information from, when there is no confirmation of this any where.

Hi Monty,

The information would have likely been sourced from the 1st Battalion War Diaries for that period. Unfortunately, they have not been digitalized but can be viewed by arrangement at the National Archives.

Bernard Fergusson wrote a book entitled The Black Watch and The King's Enemies. This book written in 1950 is the Chronicle of The Black Watch (RHR) during WW2. The book is still available and I have given you a link to Amazon, however, other book sellers still have it.

Yo will note on the 50megs site that I gave you the entry next to Pte William Bibby's name (21/06/1944) states: 19th June to 9th July, Bois de Bavent, 3 miserable weeks.

Bernard Ferguson writes in his book, "The Bois de Bavent was a byword for unpleasantness."

The Bois de Bavent was not a Battle as such but there is a lot of information online from Units that were there.

A map of the area from the book.

A page from the book which will give you an idea what Sam and the others were up against.

Thank you Chalky, you have been a great help. Thanks alot.

WWII - The German 150mm Nebelwerfer 41 "Moaning Minnie"

Moaning Minnie Info.jpg

Nebelwerfer - Moaning Minnie.jpg

At the IWM Duxford
    Moaning Minnie at IWM Duxford.jpg