Thread: Smith Easton

Smith Easton

Hello, Trying to find out about my grandad Smith Easton. He was awarded a Military Medal for taking a German machine gun post WW1, so the family story goes. His picture shows him with a cane/stick but he was a private? He was in the fourth ?Dundee. Can anyone help tell me any more from the attachments and where the best history/book is to see where he served.
    Thank you in anticipation Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Brian and welcome to the BW Forum,

Researching your family history is a task but when a member was in the military it becomes a nightmare.

Do you know if his records survived the fire?

In Vol 2 of A History of the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) in the Great War 1914-1918 there is a Pte (Private) S Easton listed in the 5th Battalionas as having been awarded the MM. Including your GD there were 52 soldiers from the 5th awarded the MM.

I can't find the actions just yet as the soldiers awarded the MM were not named in the book. I just thought I would let you know he was a MM holder.

Is the MM and his other medals still in the family?

His medal Index card is available at: http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D3435824 - It can be viewed free of charge at the National Archives if you or a friend can get there. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/visit-us/

Hi Brian,

Private soldiers back then had a "swagger stick" as part of their uniform, so it's quite correct to have one when having a studio photo taken.

Your grandad was numbered according to being in the 5th Btn originally, which included Dundee & Angus men.
    His service number suggest an enlistment time of late December 1915 to early January 1916.

He served only with the 4th/5th composite battalion, according to the medal roll.
    The 4th & 5th battalions were merged in mid March 1916, so it's likely this is correct as he would be in training for several months typically before arriving on the continent.

The London Gazette on the 10th September 1918 announces his award of the Military Medal.
    It gives his home town as "Buchin", is this a mistake for Brechin?

Unfortunately M.M. citations are not reproduced in the gazette. However local newpapers often give some detail.

In your grandads case however the Forfar Dispatch of 29/08/1918 only says:-"Tannadice has many sons serving and has a capital record. The latest to bring fame to this parish is Private Smith Easton, Black Watch, who has been awarded the Military Medal for gallantry in action. A gardener in time of peace he has found laurels in the fields of France."

A look at Brechin newspapers may yield more detail?

The War Diary for the battalion can be downloaded for a few pounds in chunks from the National Archives, these will tell you where they were and what they were doing.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
    Derek.

Derek,

He also had the number 241094 on his MIC.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Derek,

He also had the number 241094 on his MIC.
    Yes, indeed he did.

His 6 digit number allocated around early 1917 is a good way to figure out a mans original btn.

The 4th btn men received the 200001 - 240000 block, the 5th btn the 240001 - 265000 chunk.

Smith Eaton has surviving service papers that can be viewed on Ancestry or FindMyPast, listed under his second number you highlighted Chalky.

Cheers,
    Derek.