Thread: Pipe Major Archie Proudfoot, BW

Pipe Major Archie Proudfoot, BW

I received a newspaper cutting from the Belfast Evening Telegraph of 8 October 1914 with a photograph of the Proudfoot family - the father was Ex Black Watch - with 6 sons and 3 nephews serving in the military at the time. The 3 nephews were in the Black Watch, they were: Pipe Major Archie, Sergeant Robert and Abraham Proudfoot.
    Has anyone got more information about P/M Archie Proudfoot, in particular when was he P/M and in which Battalion?
    If you are interested in the photograph please send me an email at aad@blueyonder.co.uk
    Aad Boode

Aad
    This would appear to be his Medal Index Card: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interacti...cklabel=Return
    This information would indicate that he was in the 2nd Battalion, was a PoW, and entered theater of war 12th October 1914 which would have been shortly after the battalion's arrival from India.

Mike

Mike,
    Thank you for the link. It looks indeed like he was in the 2nd Battalion. However, on my list of Pipe Majors I have John Keith as P/M of the 2nd Bn BW from 1908 to 1919, with a brief interruption in 1916!
    Aad

Quote Originally Posted by aboode View Post
    I received a newspaper cutting from the Belfast Evening Telegraph of 8 October 1914 with a photograph of the Proudfoot family - the father was Ex Black Watch - with 6 sons and 3 nephews serving in the military at the time. The 3 nephews were in the Black Watch, they were: Pipe Major Archie, Sergeant Robert and Abraham Proudfoot.
    Has anyone got more information about P/M Archie Proudfoot, in particular when was he P/M and in which Battalion?
    If you are interested in the photograph please send me an email at aad@blueyonder.co.uk
    Aad Boode
    Could it be a case of the family giving him a promotion, when in fact he was a piper, but not pipe major?
    Many families did this in newspaper obituaries it seems.

Derek.