Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9497 WO1 John Mitchell , 1st and 8th Battalion Royal Highlanders. 1914-1918

9497 WO1 John Mitchell , 1st and 8th Battalion Royal Highlanders. 1914-1918

This post is to try to ascertain how many Royal Highlanders Warrant Officers were awarded the MC.

Does and member know if a photo exists and in particular a birthplace for the following Great War Soldier 9497 WO1 John Mitchell , 1st and 8th Battalion Royal Highlanders. who was very highly decorated in the First World War ,his awards are

Military Cross, Distinguished Conduct Medal. 1914 Star and Bar Trio ,Defence Medal and GV1V Special Constabulary medal .

John Mitchell served during the Great War with the 1st Battalion, Royal Highlanders in the French theatre of war from 13 August 1914. He was wounded in 1914 and returned to Hospital in the UK. He transferred to the 8th (Service) Battalion, and served with them as Company Sergeant Major, ‘D’ Company, in France from May 1915. Mitchell advanced to Regimental Sergeant Major, and the Battalion served on the Somme from 1 July 1916 onwards. They were engaged in the battles of Arras, Passchendaele and during the German Spring Offensive from March 1918. Mitchell was wounded in action, 23 March 1918.

This is an ongoing research project as far as I can see no service papers exist for him other than the Medal Index Card ,Medal Roll and notification of the Gallantry medals awards. A birthplace will unlock the door on this research.

Does anyone else know of any Royal Highlanders Warrant Officers who got the MC in the Great War

Thanks for reading this.
    Last edited by nemesis; 18th March 2018 at 13:38.

Nemesis,

The Black Watch Association might be able to help.

https://www.theblackwatch.co.uk/coll...ll-mc-dcm-8bw/

Nemesis There is a publication on who was awarded the Military Cross, I have used the book in the RIF museum I will have a look next week
    Joe

Thanks Chalky. Had asked the museum staff. As of Friday 16 March they couldnt find the documents they have in store ,but assure me that they will find them. This was due to a revamp of the system a while ago which might have seen the stored documents being relocated somewhere else
    Last edited by nemesis; 18th March 2018 at 13:37.

Joe that would be very usefull. I have been looking through the Wachopes books which are good, but not on occasions up to date with the awards
    If it mentions a birthplace for CSM Mitchell in the MC book that would be a good find for my ongoing research

This is all there was no home address details:
    Mitchell John MC DCM 9497 CSM 8th Bn Black Watch Royal Highlanders DCM as Sjt later RSM
    LG,s 30431/ 17 Dec1917:30645/ 23 April 1918(C)
    For Distinguished & Meritorious Services in time of war Author Peter Warrington
    I am still looking Joe
    Last edited by ARMAGH; 20th March 2018 at 17:20.

LG 13 Feb 1917, listed as Sgt T Mitchell not J.
    For conspicuous gallantry in action. He greatly assisted in leading his company to their objective. Later, he displayed great courage and initiative during an enemy counter - attack.

I had a look for this man in Wauchope's Bible. I didn't find anybody as decorated as this in the 1st Battalion, however, the 2nd Battalion notes are full of a man as highly decorated as this.

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/lib....asp#/1/zoomed

Put Sergeant Mitchell in the search box. P287 of the publication states that "Sergeant Mitchell was, for the third time, recommended for the Victoria Cross, and received a Second Bar to his DCM".

Is this the same man?

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    I had a look for this man in Wauchope's Bible. I didn't find anybody as decorated as this in the 1st Battalion, however, the 2nd Battalion notes are full of a man as highly decorated as this.

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/lib....asp#/1/zoomed

Put Sergeant Mitchell in the search box. P287 of the publication states that "Sergeant Mitchell was, for the third time, recommended for the Victoria Cross, and received a Second Bar to his DCM".

Is this the same man?
    Chalky
    Wauchope's Bible 8th Bn Honours and Awards MC RSM J.Mitchell

I am only a few days away from receiving more info on John Mitchell I know that he was still alive in 1974 so its just confirmation on his place of birth thats the holdup.I found this picture

IMG_3567.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast