Thread: looking for info: Lance sargeant James Hiddles WW1 1st bat

looking for info: Lance sargeant James Hiddles WW1 1st bat

Hi, I am collating information on the soldiers from our village (Saline, Fife) who fought and died in the first world war with the view of producing a booklet.
    'James Hiddles'
    I have information about his army career from 1892 to 1908 when he was in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
    I am finding it difficult finding anything about James Hiddles who was in the 1st Bat Black Watch.
    James was listed as wounded 22/5/15; missing 20/6/15 and eventually confirmed deceased 9/5/15.
    I've looked in all the usual places and web sites.
    Can any one suggest other places to look for him or do you think his record has gone the way of many others?

Thanks for reading
    Tina
    Saline and District Heritage Society

Vol 1 of The History of the Black Watch records the death of Hiddles J, L/Sgt, S/3619 as being 9 May 1915. This would have been at the Battle of Aubers Ridge.

The War Diary records the 9th May 15 as being a busy hectic day with a lot of casualties this day.

James is commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/15277167

He says on one of the records I have viewed that he came from Dunfermline. He has a medal card at the NA - http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D2850635

Thanks for this. It gives me better info for his page.
    I'll need to find the History of the Black Watch as I've quite a few B/W soldiers to look at.
    Regards, Tina

Quote Originally Posted by Saline View Post
    Thanks for this. It gives me better info for his page.
    I'll need to find the History of the Black Watch as I've quite a few B/W soldiers to look at.
    Regards, Tina
    Hi Tina,

The History of the Black Watch Vol 1 to 3 are online.

You can find them by clicking Here