Thread: Family Connection

Family Connection

My grandfather Robert Thorburn served 12 year in the 2nd Battalion, H Company from 1890 until 1902. His service took him to Ireland, India, and South Africa and possibly other countries. He was awarded the Queen's South African Medal (with clasp I imagine). I still have his red hackle, crossed signal flags worn on his sleeve along with his discharge papers. He came to the United States after demobilization and married his fiancÚ who had proceeded him. Family lore says that when the US entered WW I he tried to enlist in the Army but was too old and had 3 daughters. I served 30 years in the US Army but have always been proud my families connection the Regiment. I was fortunate to visit the Regimental Museum in 1979 and contributed his signaler's note book to the Museums collection later on. Thank you for allowing me to share.

Hi maccharlie,

Welcome to the Black Watch Forum and thanks for sharing your history.

Because your Grandfather was Black Watch this sort of makes you extended BW family, so welcome to the family as well.

NB: I have moved your post to the Black Watch Military History thread as this can't be viewed by the general public.

Pte 4428 Robert Thorburn QSA medal 5 clasps Paardeberg; Driefontein; Wittebergen; Cape Colony and Transvaal, also KSA medal 2bars SA 1901, SA 1902.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Pte 4428 Robert Thorburn QSA medal 5 clasps Paardeberg; Driefontein; Wittebergen; Cape Colony and Transvaal, also KSA medal 2bars SA 1901, SA 1902.
    Thank you for this information! i will share with family members. My sons (one of which is a piper) will be happy to learn!

I am honored to have this association.