Thread: Which regiment

Which regiment

I am trying to find out more about my Dad's regiment. He was in the Black Watch enrolling during 1940. He fought behind the enemy lines in Burma. The only information I have from his release book is his name James Ewart private beside Unit, reg or corps it has 5PTC - BW and his army number. I know he was in the Chindits. I just wish I had asked him more about it but he didn't like talking about it. His brother was Robert Ewart one of the Cockleshell Heroes. I would be grateful for any help anyone could give me.
    Last edited by Granann; 22nd January 2018 at 16:35.

Hi, for information on the BW chindits see Jocks in the Jungle by Gordon Thorburn and The battle for Burma by Bernard Fergussen.
    Your uncle Marine Robert (Bobby) Ewart took part in operation Frankton on the Gironde river, he was captured by the Germans and executed in a sand pit in Bordeaux, just 21 years old.
    For information on the raid see Cockleshell Heroes- The final Witness by Quentin Rees.
    Ron.

5 PTC could stand for 5 Personnel Transit Camp (or Centre). This I believe was in Catterick.

Just as a matter of interest Chalky, Bernard Fergussons column in the Chindits was number 5. Bill...Just a thought!..

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned that the Black Watch 'Chindits' were drawn from the 2nd Battalion, who had arrived in India early in 1942 from Egypt following the entry of Japan into the war.

On the 1943 Chindit expedition (Operation LONGCLOTH), which entered Burma in brigade strength, Bernard Fergusson's column was numbered '5'.

2 BW began training for 'Chindit' operations in autumn 1943, preparatory to the 1944 expedition (OperationTHURSDAY) which would be in divisional strength. 2 BW were divided into two columns numbered '73' & '42' as part of Thomas Brodie's 14 Brigade. On this second expedition Bernard Fergusson commmanded 16 Brigade.

Operation Thursday - http://www.chindits.info/Thursday/OperationThursday.htm

There is also an old thread on the forum. http://blackwatchforums.co.uk/showth...ATION-THURSDAY

As well as this there is loads of stuff about the Chindits and Operation Thursday on Youtube. There is a starter video on the above thread.

Isn't life strange. The Cockleshell Heroes mentioned and what's on Film 4 just now! The Cockleshell Heroes.