Thread: Albert Oddie

Albert Oddie

Hello all,

My name is Thomas Oddie. I am the grandson of Albert Oddie who served with the Black Watch in Burma during WW2. My Grandad passed away in 1976 before I was born, his children were also young when he passed and so there is very little known about his time in the military. The only pictures I've ever seen of him were from 1960's +. His war medal is also missing.

I would love to chat to anybody who knew of him - I'm wondering why he joined the Black Watch (from Manchester and possibly underage at the time), whether he served anywhere else etc.

All I know is that my Grandad was born in 1926, joined the Black Watch possibly underage, served in Burma before returning to Manchester to work a number of jobs before his death in 1976.

Also, if anybody has recommendations of places to call where I may be able to learn a little more about his time in the military, find pictures of the Black Watch in Burma etc.

Thank you for your help,

Thomas.

Hi Thomas and welcome to the forum.

I have had a look on a few sites for Albert Oddie being in the Black Watch but couldn't find him.

The only A Oddie I could find was a Trooper in The Royal Armoured Corps.

If Albert was underage at the time, it is possible he used a false name to enlist and maybe this is why he didn't choose a local Regiment to join.

If Albert was in Burma with the Black Watch then this would have been with the 2nd Battalion at the end of 1943. All the units that served in Burma became part of the Chindits.

You could try and get his records but it is more difficult without all the information. Have a look at the link below:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/request-...vice-personnel