Thread: William Muir

William Muir

Hello there, I'm trying to find any info on this pic i have just found, my granda is in this picture,...william muir D coy 2nd batt black watch, Borden 1923.....D.O.B 21/11/1897
    16 WATER STREET GLASGOW MARYHILL/MILTON AREA??......FATHERS NAME JAMES AND MOTHERS MARY ...I KNOW NOTHING OF HIM ....RANK AND MEDALS IF ANY ...WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR OF ANY INFO ....THE ONLY FAMILY RUMOUR IS HE MAY HAVE SERVED AT MESOPOTANIA????? ...THANKS IN ADVANCED ..WILLIAM....I HATE COMPUTERS !!!!!
    Last edited by will293; 10th July 2017 at 17:12.

Quote Originally Posted by will293 View Post

Hello there, I'm trying to find any info on this pic i have just found, my granda is in this picture,...william muir D coy 2nd batt black watch, Borden 1923.....D.O.B 21/11/1897
    16 WATER STREET GLASGOW MARYHILL/MILTON AREA??......FATHERS NAME JAMES AND MOTHERS MARY ...I KNOW NOTHING OF HIM ....RANK AND MEDALS IF ANY ...WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR OF ANY INFO ....THE ONLY FAMILY RUMOUR IS HE MAY HAVE SERVED AT MESOPOTANIA????? ...THANKS IN ADVANCED ..WILLIAM....I HATE COMPUTERS !!!!!
    There was a William Muir who arrived in 1914 from India wiith the 2nd Btn.
    He was discharged due to wounds or illness in September 1915, which would be enough to to have seen service in Mesopotamia.

Men frequently moved between battalions or regiments after a wounding.

There is also a pre war regular who went to France in August 1914 in the 1st Btn called William Muir, he was later transferred to the Royal Engineers.

Both these men survived the war, but i'm not sure the discharged man would have been able to sign up again after the war if his wounds were bad enough to have him discharged.

It's possible your grandad served later in the war, or even another regiment before enlisting post war in the Black Watch.

I'll have a look at those medal ribbons and get back to you.

Cheers,
    Derek.