My husband is a Black Watch veteran serving in Korea and Kenya. His grandfather was in the Cameron Highlanders and was killed at Paschendaale in September 1917. There was a ballot earlier for tickets for relatives to the 100 year commemoration at the end of July 2017 and not thinking we had a chance of tickets entered for my husband. Fortunately (or otherwise) we were successful which in other circumstances would present no problem. However four years ago my husband suffered a stroke which left him paralysed unable to walk or talk, be doubly incontinent and having to have a peg inserted for feeding. The consultant would not give a follow up appointment when he was due to be discharged as she said he would be dead within a few weeks from an infection he was bound to pick up and therefore not last to the appointment. I have therefore been battling the authorities ever since.

However the consultant did not take into account the stubborn Scot that he is and that he had always been very active completing at least 42 marathons, the first I understand in the Black Watch in Berlin. Although I am his sole carer I exercise him each morning when I get up before I start on the 24 hour care he needs. Four years on he is still improving although at 84 it is very slow. Once a week I have found an organisation where he can try and walk on parallel bars (the NHS only give 6 weeks physio although they have the equipment we desperately need). I also take him to oxygen therapy twice a week which has had a very beneficial effect and no doubt caused the improvement initially. We are still a long way off but we are both determined he will win this battle eventually. I also take him to the gym at the local university once a week to exercise on his shoulders but cannot exercise his legs there as I am not strong enough to hold him.

My problem is that I have a car which takes a wheelchair so could drive him to Ypres but need accommodation. I could not envisage driving there and back in a day. I need accommodation which has a minimum of a stand aid and shower commode and of course disabled access and then I think I could manage. My husband desperately wants to go as he was named after his grandfather who died. Does anyone know of any such accommodation or an organisation that could assist in trying to find some for me. I just feel that of all the places where they must have had visitors requiring such accommodation over the years particularly while the first world war veterans were still alive and visiting, Ypres must surely have provision for such people if only I knew where to look. I would be grateful for any suggestions on where to look. I did try the British Legion but they didn't even know there was an event in Passchendaale and simply told me of a travel agent which of course is not good because he needs personal care all the time.