Thread: Info on William WATT, DOB 03/11/1898, 22839, 4/5th Black Watch.

Info on William WATT, DOB 03/11/1898, 22839, 4/5th Black Watch.

Hi,

I am hoping to find out some more information about my grandfather , on behalf of my mother. So I do have some questions & would really appreciate answers, or some suggestions where else to research.

We do have his Unit Register Card (URC) and his Certificate of Transfer to Reserve (CTR) which has given us some info and dates.

The CTR shows that he enlisted on the 29 - 5 - 1914, for the 38th Training Bu (?) He was 16yrs old at the time, so what would he have been doing after enlistment? What was the training period?

On his URC his number is listed as 22839.

On his CTR his Regtl No is given as what looks like S/22839. Is there a reason for the difference?

I have just found his Medal Roll card on line, which is really neat as my mother remembers her father had 'round medals', & still has his Victory Medal.

I'm presently reading through Vol II of the History of the Black Watch, to see what the 4/5th were doing during their service overseas. But I would like to find out his service history. I found he was overseas for 1 year 2 months, but the dates would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth and welcome to the Black Watch Forums.

Can you tell us when (DOB) and where your Grandfather was born as there are a few William Watt's to look through.

Your mum could apply for his service records from WW1. A lot were burned during a bombing fire but you may be lucky. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military...cords/overview

I found his Medal Index Card under S2283 and this does not indicate any overseas service.

Hi Chalky, thanks for the welcome, & the link.

I'll get those away ASAP, as I'm in Australia. My Grandfather emigrated to Australia in 1921 & bought a farm in Newrybar, New South Wales.

My Grandfather was born on the 03/11/1898, William Alexander WATT, at Rothiemay, in the County of Banff. I have his birth registration details.