Thread: BIG Thank you

BIG Thank you

Im New to this forum.. And I Have been researching my tree for years.. However a relatively new discovery is my 2 X Great Uncle Peter Loughan.. He was 19yrs old when he died in WWI .. I have found some medal cards, and of course his death.
    He died 15th July 1916, and he was in Black Watch 'B' Coy, 8th Battalion..

Whilst i was randomly searching the internet, I have found a photo of him on here!.. I cant thank you all enough.. BET_serviceman added his photo to Gallery...

Please forgive my ignorance... But i have looked into his death, and i have found out about the day he died.. It was in a woodland just outside village of Longueval ... So Did he 'Go over the top' ... Was he in the trenches?...
    I would love any other info you have on him.

Thank you again.. For putting a face to his name..

Kelly x

Hi Kelly and welcome to the Black Watch family.

If you go to the link below you will be able to read what was happening around the date Peter died.

http://lib.militaryarchive.co.uk/lib...asp#/39/zoomed

Any problems just give us a shout.

Thank you very much...
    Ive seen he is on the Theipval Memorial, I presume this means his body was never found?..

Hi Kelly If you have details of your grandfather go to your local library and look in the local paper for news of him I have found local papers have a lot of details and photos good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ARMAGH View Post
    Hi Kelly If you have details of your grandfather go to your local library and look in the local paper for news of him I have found local papers have a lot of details and photos good luck
    Joe,
    Could you please run a check on Peter Loughan. see #43 for image

His number is S/6457 and the CWGC and NA confirm this, however, Wauchope's V3 has S/6457 listed as P Longham, as does the Scottish National War Memorial.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Joe,
    Could you please run a check on Peter Loughan. see #43 for image

His number is S/6457 and the CWGC and NA confirm this, however, Wauchope's V3 has S/6457 listed as P Longham, as does the Scottish National War Memorial.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi Chalky
    This is what I have at the moment
    Loughan Peter S/6457 Black Watch 8 /R.H.6457
    Service Medals Name: Peter Loughan Military Year: 1914-1920 Rank: Private Medal Awarded: British War Medal and Victory Medal Regiment or Corps: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) Regimental Number: S/6457 Previous Units: 8/R.H. Pte. S/6457
    Medal Index Card Name: Peter Loughan Regiment or Corps: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) Regimental Number: S/6457 Entry to France KIA 14-7-16
    Soldiers Will. Name: Peter Loughan Gender: Male Death Date: 14 Jul 1916 Rank: Private Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) Regimental Number: S/6457 Effects to his Mother Victoria
    Ancestry When Peter Loughan was born about 1897, in Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland, his father, Robert, was 56 and his mother, Victoria, was 38. He had seven brothers and six sisters. He died on July 14, 1916, in Thiepval, Picardie, France, at the age of 19, and was buried in Somme, Picardie, France.Father Sgt 2ndFoot Bengal Lancers & Claire Militia
    In the 1901 Ireland census Peter age 4 is living with his family at No 31 Little Georges Street (Docks)Belfasts
    Surname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion
    Loughan Annie 16 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
    Loughan Sarah 2 Male Daughter Roman Catholic
    Loughan Margaret Ann 8 Female Daughter Roman Catholic
    Loughan Robert 60 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic
    Loughan Peter 4 Male Son Roman Catholic
    Loughan Patrick 6 Male Son Roman Catholic
    Loughan Charles 10 Male Son Roman Catholic
    Loughan Robert 20 Male Son Roman Catholic
    Loughan Nathaniel 15 Male Son Roman Catholic
    Loughan Victoria 40 Female Wife Roman Catholic
    In the 1911 census Scotland family moved to Scotland
    Peter Loughan lived in Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, in 1911.• 1 D Turner Street, Dundyvan, Old Monkland, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire, Scotland
    Victoria *Loghan 43 Ireland; Nathaniel Labourer TubeWorks Peter 14 Mary School "Jane Francis R Ireland; Charles *Cullinan brother 35 S Labourer Tube Works Ireland. * Spellings?

Cheers Joe.

This concurs with the CWGC.

The Scottish National War Memorial and Vol 3 of Wauchope's History of the Black Watch lists S6457 as Private P Longham.

Era WW1
    Surname LONGHAM
    Forename Peter
    Rank Pte
    Service number S/6457
    Decoration
    Place of birth Belfast
    Date of death 14 July 1916
    Theatre of death F&F
    Cause of death Killed in action
    SNWM roll THE BLACK WATCH (ROYAL HIGHLANDERS)
    Unit name In or attached to THE BLACK WATCH ROYAL HIGHLANDERS
    Other detail 8th Bn.

I will have to ask SNWM to do a bit research on this.

Wow... Yes thats my Peters family.. Robert Snr is my Great Great Grandfather...
    The family started out in Belfast. then Robert, the head of family died, so Victoria, the mother moved to Coatbridge, Scotland between 1906-1909 with most of her children..

I have seen many different spellings of his surname.. Strange that the SNWM got it wrong!

Just found this photo.. Scottish Military Uniforms saved to Brigades and Divisions
    Rum issue to men of the 8th Battalion, Black Watch in the Carnoy Valley soon after the return of the 26th Infantry Brigade, 9th (Scottish) Division, from heavy fighting in the village of Longeuval, 14 - 19 July 1916

So my Peter is not in photo, as he died 14 July... But his 'Friends' would be..

8th Battalion July 1916.jpg