Thread: Aden 1967

Aden 1967

Dick Parata has been asked to write an article for the Red Hackle about Aden in 1967.

Dick took a platoon from the Regiment to the Argyll’s as they were short on numbers.

He is trying to find out who was in platoon and what happened to them so that he can use this information in the article. He is being assisted by Jimmy Williamson who was the youngest in the platoon at that time.

They were a platoon of volunteers, who did not know each other and on arrival dispersed throughout 1 A&SH and never reformed as a platoon, hence there is no real record that can be found.

The only record is a small article from the 1967 Red Hackle which give some names.

They are:

Cpls McGregor, Martin and Boyle and L/Cpls Card, Burns and Westwater (not Tommy, the mop), Pte Caber Feidh Edwards, Pte Low, Pte Gibb and Pte Donaldson.

If anyone can remember any other names could you please post them here.

Cheers

Chalky it springs to mind that Dave Oldham was the Pl Sgt but this is a vague memory,I may be wrong. Bill...

Chalky
    J Greer comes to mind. I'm sure on return to the battalion we formed a platoon in Alpha Company.

Thanks guys.

Jimmy Greer has also been mentioned by others so he is in the confirmed list.

Myway, there was a Sgt Oldham at the depot 66/67. This grab is from the the December 67 Red Hackle. Is this Dave Oldham? Cpl Scott is also pictured. Do you know which Scott that is?

To be confirmed are:

Pte Law
    Pte Currie
    Tex Rieter
    Bert Murray – Deceased
    Jimmy Cargill - Deceased

Yes Chalky,thats the Dave Oldham I was referring to, I don't think the Cpl Scott is Rob, Fife branch. Bill...

Bill I remember Dave Oldham now, is that not Bob (Rob) Scott Fife in the Depot photo?

You could be right Joe, I had another look and perhaps he got better looking as he got older, (my phone will probably ring soon) Bill.

Hi,
    Here's a photo of Watty Card in Aden
    http://argylls1945to1971.co.uk/Aden1048.JPG
    I am sure Tommy Smyth had a list of BW men who went out with the Argyll's. I'm sure over the years he had spoken to many lads during reunions at RHQ and this is how he compiled it. I see him most weeks, so will try and catch him next week and see if he still has access to it.
    Regards,
    Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by ARMAGH View Post
    Bill I remember Dave Oldham now, is that not Bob (Rob) Scott Fife in the Depot photo?
    Scott 78 is Bob fae Fife.

Quote Originally Posted by myway View Post
    You could be right Joe, I had another look and perhaps he got better looking as he got older, (my phone will probably ring soon) Bill.
    Bill I don't think Bob looks at this site to busy giving off about the SNP on face book Ha ha