Thread: Which Regiment, and what was the occasion?

Which Regiment, and what was the occasion?

Forgive me for not being certain, but, am not an expert on uniform etc. We posted this on our Aberfeldy Museum Facebook page, and, assumed it was Black Watch, but am not so sure now. Is it Black Watch, and if not, which Regiment is it?

It dates from Late 50's to the 1960's, any idea what the occasion might have been. They are marching up the Crieff Road south of Aberfeldy.

Cheers Mike

Definitely Black Watch. Marching to a ceremony at the Black Watch Monument at Wade's Bridge?

Thanks Mike. They are heading in the wrong direction for the Monument. They are heading for Crieff in this photo. They have already climbed a fair bit to get that far and would be feeling it. Could it be local TA?

Mike

Mike I think that the soldiers are recruits from Queens Barracks on a route march to familiarise them with the history of the regiment and the connection with Aberfeldy. Also I think the officer is the then Lt Colin Inness ,now Major Retd and the NCO at the back may be Cpl Jim Beedie . Probably 1958 as they still have the No 4 rifle, this an educated guess, anyone else any ideas. Bill..

Excellent Bill, and thank you for that. That makes a lot of sense and look forward to seeing if anyone else recognises other soldiers.

Cheers Mike

That's what I was thinking Bill as we used to do route marches in Kilt Boots Putties etc in 1960. Is that Willie Mutch the NCO with glasses he would have been at the depot then. I would like to further enlarge the photo so as I could try and ID the soldiers

Joe, Wullie Mutch was heavier built than that guy and was MT Cpl, also I don't think he wore specs at that time.I tried looking through a magnifying glass, with no luck. Bill...

I passed through the depot in 1957. At the time there were two squads; one regular, small and the other large, National Service. Uniform in photo is the same. I can't remember much about that period as I was so tired from lack of sleep, either guard duty, training or bull. I don't recognise any faces either. Oh happy days of yore.