Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Question for Ron

A Question for Ron

Hi Ron,

This badge was posted on Facebook and the person was asking if anyone knew what it was.

I suggested that is was a make up of something like a Peelers badge and a ORs BW badge stuck on top.

Maybe a proud copper pre 1902.

What are your thoughts on this?

Hi Chalky, I wonder if this is the plate that is on Ebay at the moment?
    I have some concerns that the badge and the plate do not seem to be the same colour?
    There is a die flaw to the left cheek of St. Andrew, the details on the badge seem to be blurred and not crisp.
    The points of the star rays seem rounded and not crisp. Without having the badge to hand I cant say its a restrike.
    Have posted my example below for comparsion.
    Ron.

Chalky, just had a look on EBay it is the same one, now that I have seen the reverse it looks like a reproduction to me.
    Ron.

Ron
    Bloomer (Vol. I) identifies this as a helmet plate for the 1st (Dundee) VBRH 1887-1901. Would this be your understanding (notwithstanding that the OP is probably a repro)?

Mike

Mike, I have seen a 1VBRH plate with the top scrolls reading "1st VOL BATT ROYAL HIGHrs:
    Because my example has the standard badge I assume it is either 2nd, 3rd or Militia Bn, the 4th, 5th and 6th having their own individual designs.
    Pic of 1VBRH below.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Mike, I have seen a 1VBRH plate with the top scrolls reading "1st VOL BATT ROYAL HIGHrs:
    Because my example has the standard badge I assume it is either 2nd, 3rd or Militia Bn, the 4th, 5th and 6th having their own individual designs.
    Pic of 1VBRH below.
    Ron,
    2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th VBs wore glengarries as did, I believe, the Militia Bn. Only 1st and 6th VBs wore helmets. I wonder if there may have been a brief period when the overseas regular battalion wore a plate on the Foreign Service Helmet. I have never seen such a photograph, but I suppose it is possible.

Mike

Mike checking through Cpt Durrants notes he lists it as 3rd Battalion The Black Watch (RH). Helmet plate formally worn by Militia Bn.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Mike checking through Cpt Durrants notes he lists it as 3rd Battalion The Black Watch (RH). Helmet plate formally worn by Militia Bn.
    Ron......Is it possible that this badge could be a pre-1881 badge to the Royal Perthshire Militia aka Royal Perthshire Rifles (1855-1881)? With the scrolls on the badge, this seems unlikely. This is from Wauchope's A Short History of The Black Watch 1725-1907 p. 108:

"In 1881, when the territorial system was definitely established, the Perthshire Rifles was linked to The Black Watch as the 3rd Battalion, and the present title and uniform adopted. Although worn by the officers and permanent staff, the kilt and feather bonnet were not issued to other ranks, who wear trews of The Black Watch tartan and glengarry bonnets with regimental badge"

This uniform can be seen in the below 1882 photograph.

This is all somewhat perplexing.
    Mike

3BW 1882.jpg
    Last edited by mike4279; 24th July 2016 at 22:06.

It could have been worn by the Royal Perthshire Militia, but there is also a KC version which would not have been.
    Ron

Exclamation

DSC_9956.jpgDSC_9964.jpg

Hello Gents,

I'm just new on this forum and don't really know were I can or should post this question, so that's why I post it here in "a question for Ron" as I can see he's a senior member.

So good afternoon (Belgian Time) Ron,

I have this bandoleer I beleive to be a Royal Highlanders of Canada bandolier, it's marked RHC 1915 marked so that's why I think it belongs tot the regiment 'Royal Highlanders of Canada'. It's also stamped with the broad arrow and 22, why is this?

I've attached some pictures, I you would like some more I would be very happy to post them.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards Rich

IMG_20170113_091500.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast