Thread: Captain Ernest Vincent Anderson - 04th June 1887 12th May 1914

Captain Ernest Vincent Anderson - 04th June 1887 12th May 1914

Hello All,

I am hoping that some kind soul might be able to help me find the last few pieces of a puzzle that I am trying to complete.

The above gentleman served with the Scottish 2nd Black Watch Royal Highlanders.

He gained a commission to Second Lieutenant on the 28th August 1906, and two years later he was promoted further to full Lieutenant.

By 1911 he was serving in Aldershot in Hampshire.

The following year (I believe) he joined the Royal Flying Corps and was promoted to temporary Captain.

Tragically he died in a flying accident in May 1914.

Can anyone please help me with the following?

Where and when he actually joined the Black Watch
    When exactly he was promoted to Lieutenant

Any other information about his service with the Black Watch.

Or failing that , a steer to someone or somewhere who could help.

Any help and assistance with this request will be most gratefully received

Kind Regards

Dean

Hi Dean and welcome to the forum.

I have had a look for Ernest and found that he was born in Australia.

I have found references for an Anderson as follows:

Anderson, Ernest V, Black Watch(Royal Highlanders), 28.10.12 to be Flying Officer and to be seconded: Gazette ref 12.895, Line 4526

Anderson Lt, Ernest V, Black Watch(Royal Highlanders), 01.01.14 to be Flight Comdr: Gazette ref 14.0039, Line 4528 (Normally a Captain)

Anderson Capt, EV, Farnborough/UK 12.05.14, Died [- Sopwith] Killed: Ref CasCards Ref 263824 Line 4529

The only reference I found is his promotion to Lieutenant.

Individual Page: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/.../5871/data.pdf

Another mention of Ernest in the London Gazzette

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/...8846/page/5233

Information from the RAF Museum:

http://www.rafmuseumstoryvault.org.u...ernest-vincent

A list of fatal air accidents in Britain 1786 - 1916 that lists the casualties.
    http://www.rcawsey.co.uk/Acc1916.htm

Sopwith RG 324, 5 Sqn, RFC.

Crashed after collision with Sopwith 325, Farnborough
    Capt Ernest Vincent Anderson (27) killed
    Air Mech Henry Wifred Carter (24) killed
    Lt Christopher William Wilson injured in 325

A Memorial page for him
    https://www.fold3.com/page/642692872...erson/details/

His Grave:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...327829&df=all&

That is all for now. I am hoping Ron picks up on this post as he may be able to give more details on promotion dates etc.

A wee bit more from another site:

12-5-14 Sopwiths 324 & 325:

Sopwiths collided when 2nd Lieutenant Wilson in plane 325 descended to land unaware that 324 was beneath him.

Both planes crashed on the nearby Aldershot Golf Course 10th Green.

Wilson lived but both occupants of 234 died, Captain Ernest Vincent Anderson and Air Mechanic Henry Wilfred Carter.

Ernest joined the Black Watch as a 2nd Lt in 1907 while they were stationed at Curragh in Ireland. It was the first battalion that was in Ireland.

1st Battalion: 1906 Ireland: Curragh, 1908 Limerick, 1911 Scotland: Edinburgh and 1912 England: Aldershot 1 Bde.

EV Anderson.png

You will note that the report says he spent some time in India. The 2nd Battalion was in India in 1908 in Barian and in Calcutta from 1911 to the start of WW1.

The report also says his Regiment was in Edinburgh Castle when he left for the Royal Flying Corps.

This newspaper report underpins what I posted previously.

Anderson, Ernest V, Black Watch(Royal Highlanders), 28.10.12 to be Flying Officer and to be seconded: Gazette ref 12.895, Line 4526 (Edinburgh link)

Anderson Lt, Ernest V, Black Watch(Royal Highlanders), 01.01.14 to be Flight Comdr: Gazette ref 14.0039, Line 4528 (Normally a Captain)

Anderson Capt, EV, Farnborough/UK 12.05.14, Died [- Sopwith] Killed: Ref CasCards Ref 263824 Line 4529

The report also said that he had relatives living at Manor House, Guildford.

(Ernest joined the Black Watch as a 2nd Lt in 1907 while they were stationed at Curragh in Northern Ireland. It was the first battalion that was in NI.)

Chalky,
    Small point Curragh (a big army camp) is in the South of Ireland. NI came into being after partition around 1926 when the ROI was formed.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMAGH View Post
    (Ernest joined the Black Watch as a 2nd Lt in 1907 while they were stationed at Curragh in Northern Ireland. It was the first battalion that was in NI.)

Chalky,
    Small point Curragh (a big army camp) is in the South of Ireland. NI came into being after partition around 1926 when the ROI was formed.
    Thanks for keeping me right Joe.

Captain Ernest Vincent Anderson - 04th June 1887 12th May 1914

Chalky,

Apologies for delay in replying have been away for a few days.

Many many thanks for the information you have provided, I really appreciate your and the forums help with this. The information is most useful and assists me greatly.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dean

Hello all,

I am all but finished with my research on this chap now.

Thank you all.

One last question if I may. I am trying to establish where he is remembered. He is remembered in the RAF Museum Roll of Honour.

Does anyone know where else he might be remembered for his service to the Black Watch?

As he was pre Great War he presumable is not listed on a monument soemwhere.

Thanks again

Best regards

Dean