Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pipe Major Dan MacLeod (Black Watch and Home Guard)

Hi Chalky thank you for your welcome. I'll be posting parts of the diary. Let me know what you are most interested in.
    Gill

Thank you Aad.
    Yes, it is correct that he was born in Keig in 1891 and that he died in Aberdeen in 1968. He notes in his diary that he became Acting Pipe Major of the 4th Black Watch on 9 January 1916 (he doesn't actually record say when he became Pipe Major), and then there was the amalgamation of the 4th and 5th Battalions in March 1916.
    Interesting about the Home Guard Service, which was very important to him - so much so that he wrote a tune which was recorded by Jimmy Shand. That tune is listed as the 5th Battalion Dundee Home Guard which is why I assumed that was his battalion. My mother, his daughter, can't remember which battalion he was in. I believe he founded the pipe band so assume that he would have been their P/M for as long as the battalion was in existence. He would have enlisted as soon as it was set up, having felt very low about being unable to play a part in the 2nd World War (because of his age) until that time.
    Hope this is helpful
    Regards
    Gill

Dan McLeod's account of the Battle of Loos

Here is a first post from Dan's diaries

Dan is reported to have piped his Battalion into the Battle of Loos. His record of the battle is attached. It is clear that he spent his time primarily acting as a stretcher bearer, working with the wounded in the field. You will see that he found and brought in his mortally wounded Colonel, Harry Walker.

Regards

Gill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for this Gill,

An interesting read that places you on the Battlefield.

As I said before. What a great piece of family history to have.

Thank you, Gill.
    Do you know till which year your grandfather was P/M of the 4/5th Bn?
    Aad

Hi Aad

He was P/M until January 1919. Here is what he says about the last few days:

Ist Jan. 1919 Had dinner at 12.5am. Quiet time. Good dinner for men at 1pm. Played orderly pipes and served at table. Had dinner in mess at 5pm and quiet evening.

2nd Jan. Played Retreat & Tattoo in square.

3/1/19. Had walk into Fauquez in afternoon..

4/1/19. Retreat & danced at Concert at night.

Whist drive at C. Coy 10th. Aeroplane ride 10th. Colour Parade Sat. 11th. Aeroplane 14th.

Got all papers for going off Sat .18th Jan.

Paraded on 19th & left Battalion.

Best regards

Gill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12