Thread: Interactive Map

Interactive Map

For those interested in history here is an interactive map of every bomb that hit London during the Blitz

Irrespective of feelings towards London at present, this really is an outstanding bit of work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...don-Blitz.html
    Al

Incredible Al,Londoners must have had some spirit to endure such bombing and with the exception of Clydebank, Scotland got off quite lightly. Bill..

I can say the map is not complete, just looked up my childhood home Buckingham rd there were three completely destroyed houses I spent many happy hours playing on the bombsites. The road running parallel Wendover rd also had two bombsites.
    Ron.

Wow, this is brilliant Al. My Dad had been in the Air Force before the war, then left and joined the local Fire Brigade. When war was declared he applied to go back to the Air Force but was refused as he was already in an "essential service". For six months between 1940 and 1941 he volunteered for the London Fire Service as they were stretched but was told he would be demoted and could only serve as an ordinary fireman with London Auxiliary Service. It didn't matter to him so he arrived in London at a terrible time. When he did get sleep it was in the underground as there was nowhere else, and he narrowly escaped many bombings. He was injured rescuing a family from a bomb dropped near the Thames and had to come home. Shortly after at Easter the Germans bombed Belfast. My Dad was on top of a church with two of his men trying to put out a fire when it was hit again. The men on either side of him were blown off the roof of the church, he managed to hold firm but found the two men impaled on metal railings, they died instantly. Had he been alive, my late Dad would have loved this, so thank you for posting Al.

I have a book written by Neil Wallington called "Firemen at War" - The Work of London's Fire-Fighters in the Second World War. This is an interesting book (I buy many relating to London's Fire-Fighters in WW2 in the hope I might find my Dad's photograph) and am happy to give it F.O.C to anyone interested, plus postage.
    Anne

Ron your comments echo those of my Aunt & Uncle who have also said it was incomplete
    Why not write to those who produced the article and let them know
    Al