Thread: Black Watch territorial badge

Black Watch territorial badge

Hi I have a Black Watch territorial badge that I find perplexing. The detail is extremely fine and the weight correct (with other "good" badges) and is quite flat. The colour looks bronze but I have not seen one like it. I have not tried to clean it. I wondered initially if it had been dug up or exposed to the elements?

Any thoughts?
    5 bw badge 1 compress.jpg5 bw badge 2 compress.jpg

Bryan

Bryan, Your badge is white metal, this issue was only struck in the flat position so thats a good point.
    If you wish to clean it, soak in a saucer of distilled water and mild washing up liquid for 1/2 hour scrub gently with a soft toothbrush a quick rinse under a hot tap then dry with hair dryer.
    Re militia question I answered on VWF.
    Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Bryan, Your badge is white metal, this issue was only struck in the flat position so thats a good point.
    If you wish to clean it, soak in a saucer of distilled water and mild washing up liquid for 1/2 hour scrub gently with a soft toothbrush a quick rinse under a hot tap then dry with hair dryer.
    Re militia question I answered on VWF.
    Ron.
    Thanks very Ron. I keep trying to send private messages on VWF, they seem to go then they don't appear in the sent box! Maybe my iPad? Thanks you very mch for the information - I have tried a couple of dealers I know to see about getting the helmet plate but they say the BW never wore one. I come across this a lot! I wanted to ask a couple of questions if that is OK? Firstly I notice that you annotate your territorial badge as 1922, are you firmly in the camp that it is post 1922? And Bloomer says 6th/7th but K&K say 4th,5th, 6th and 7th but specifically don't date it but place it in the Territorial Section 1908 to 1921?
    Next question is about brass BW cap badges. This seems to be another highly charges issue! Do you think there is an "economic 1916" issue brass badge and/or there are brass badges, just not economy issue?

Thanks

Bryan

Hi Bryan, in my opinion it was not issued until 1922 you see so few of them if it was issued from 1908 there would be many more on the market.
    As for brass issues. There are a lot of reproductions in brass however in my opinion brass badges were issued at some time but I can't say to which Bns or when? There are also the brass cast badges made in India and Palestine although these were never official issues, add to that manufacturers trial strikes and outright forgeries it makes for quite a minefield.
    Ron.

Thanks again Ron, tried cleaning but to no avail. A couple of highlights cleaned to white metal, but I think I would start to damage the surface if I went harder. Maybe I should just leave it. I am after a 2nd Vol. badge but that again appears to be a mine field of forgeries as well! Had a quick look for a helmet plate but that looks to be pretty rare, so maybe that might be a long wait!

Bryan