Thread: Can anyone help with this Photogragh, please?

Can anyone help with this Photogragh, please?

Pte J Davis Fort Ruhya 1858.jpg
    This is private James Davis wearing his medal group including his Victoria Cross, what I'm trying to find out is, what does the Chevron above the cuff on his right sleeve stand signify? He as a Private for over 30 years, would this have been unusual for a Victoria Cross holder, not to have risen in the Ranks? Thanks in advance for any help with anything in this photo.

This is probably a Good Conduct stripe.

James may have been a person who did not want to accept the responsibility for others welfare which came with rank.

We had something along these lines when we joined but I think they were for service. We had a L/Cpl can't remember his name but we called him after a motorbike one up two down.

It's a good conduct badge. I can't remember exactly the number of years one had to have been of good behaviour to earn the inverted stripe but know I was awarded two and served for six years in the 1st Bn (1955-1960). But that's not to say he retired as a private soldier and would be surprised if he did. And from what I recall good conduct badges were relinquished on promotion to NCO.

Tony Parry

Quote Originally Posted by parry View Post
    It's a good conduct badge. I can't remember exactly the number of years one had to have been of good behaviour to earn the inverted stripe but know I was awarded two and served for six years in the 1st Bn (1955-1960). But that's not to say he retired as a private soldier and would be surprised if he did. And from what I recall good conduct badges were relinquished on promotion to NCO.

Tony Parry
    Number of years were 2, 6, 12and 18 for the Good Conduct Stripes.

They were awarded to Privates and Lance Corporals, and were worn on the left lower sleeve.

Once promoted to Corporal (2nd Corporal before 1920) they had to be removed.