Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for information about P/M Andrew Kirk and P/M Bert Barron

Looking for information about P/M Andrew Kirk and P/M Bert Barron

When going through some old issues of the Piping Times I read in vol. 48-6 (March 1996) that Bert Barron succeeded Andrew Kirk as P/M of the St. Andrews University OTC.
    I am compiling a list of Pipe Majors of military Pipes & Drums and have on my list P/M Andrew Kirk, Black Watch during WW1.
    And I have on my list Albert (Bert) Barron, born 1916? Monikie, died 1996 St. Andrews, P/M 4th Bn Black Watch during WW2 and P/M 4/5th Bn Black Watch till 1957.
    Can anyone help me with more information about these 2 Pipe Majors and when they were P/M in The Black Watch (and which Bn) and the St. Andrews University OTC which became Tayforth Universities OTC in 1973.
    Thanks.
    Aad

Andrew Kirk

Hi,

Andrew Kirk was also the first Pipe Major of the 1st St Andrews Boys Brigade Pipe Band formed in 1924. He took the band down to London in 1927 to perform at the BB national display. I understand he was involved on and off with the BB until the mid 40's. I have recently come into possession of some of his hand written manuscript dating from the early 1900's and am also trying to find out a bit more of his history. If I come across anything else I will post.

Hello Andrew
    Welcome to the site, any photos?
    Joe

The Scottish War Memorials Project mentions a "Andrew Kirk, born 27 July 1877, who served in the Black Watch at Perth 1901 Census and then Boer War and WW1. He survived and was a Pipe Major and then had a lot to do with the Boys Brigade at St Andrews".
    Is this the same Andrew Kirk? I have him listed as P/M of the Black Watch during WW1 and later as P/M of the St. Andrews University OTC till his death in 1953. Would he still have been P/M at the St. Andrews University OTC at age 75?
    Last edited by aboode; 17th February 2015 at 11:15.

This might be one for Murray.

I was given a photo from a late relative of Andrew Kirk and and came across this forum so thought I would post it here in case anyone is interested. The photo has the following stamp on the back:

G.M. Cowie, 131 South Street, St. Andrews, Fife, Copyright

And the following type-written note attached:

Scotland's Oldest Active Piper, and a "Royal" Composer
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Pipe Major Andrew Kirk of St Andrews, Fife is surely Scotland's oldest active Piper. At 75 he is still piping instructor to St Andrews University and is a pipe tune composer of some note. Several of his fine airs have been dedicated to Royalty and are played all over the world. When the Duke of Windsor was Prince of Wales he took lessons from the veteran Pipe Major. Joining the Black Watch at a very early age he saw much service in South Africa, India and all over the globe. Piping has been his work and hobby from 10 years of age and at the moment he is engaged in composing a new air to Celebrate the Coronation of H.M. The Queen.

AndrewKirk.jpg

Hi celloman,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting this photo. A good bit of history.

Quote Originally Posted by aboode View Post
    The Scottish War Memorials Project mentions a "Andrew Kirk, born 27 July 1877, who served in the Black Watch at Perth 1901 Census and then Boer War and WW1. He survived and was a Pipe Major and then had a lot to do with the Boys Brigade at St Andrews".
    Is this the same Andrew Kirk? I have him listed as P/M of the Black Watch during WW1 and later as P/M of the St. Andrews University OTC till his death in 1953. Would he still have been P/M at the St. Andrews University OTC at age 75?
    I have a couple if photos of Piper Kirk. But Theres a website for pathe newsreels and in it theres one called haig visits university town or field marshal visits university town. In the newsreel are Kirk and John Ripley VC. Will look for the link for you

It took me quicker than I thought. Click on link http://www.britishpathe.com/video/sir-douglas-haig its the one with university town in it. Kirk is prominent as the piper and J Ripley is seen on the steps awaiting the Field Marshall and again near the Church on South Street

Hi all. This is my grandad. Unfortunately I never got to meet him as he died 2 months before I was born. Lesley.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast