Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canpbell Major 1888 21 Regiment Hanged Armagh.

Hello Ronnie
    Good to hear from you, how did the parade & church service go? a cold wet day?? Sunday was a wet but warm day at Riva Lake Garda.
    Greybreeks could be 21 Regiment Derry Militia.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ARMAGH View Post
    Hello Ronnie
    Good to hear from you, how did the parade & church service go? a cold wet day?? Sunday was a wet but warm day at Riva Lake Garda.
    Greybreeks could be 21 Regiment Derry Militia.

Joe
    Hope you enjoyed your break Joe, missed you at Ballysillan. The service and parade this year was 'spot on'. Clear and sunny with just a slight breeze to keep the Standard Bearers on their toes. This year, and in the future, the organisers from the Oldpark/Cavehill branch RBL will concentrate on the "Drumhead" service at the Ballysillan memorial, followed by a shortish(?) parade downhill to a dispersal point. We found that having the Drumhead service AND parade to church for yet another service was a bit too much. This year we had a group of 1RS veterans association N.I. turn up and veterans from the Highland Regiments as well which was great. Date for next year will be Sunday 26th May. I will keep you informed.
    Nemo Nos Impune Lacesset

Thanks Ronnie
    Glad to hear that all was well on the parade and that there was a good turn out and that the weather was clear & sunny , it can be cold wet & windy at Ballysillan.
    Any photos being posted?
    Yours Aye
    Joe

Ronnie, I was browsing the Royal Scots association website and came accross an old photo of Jimmy Blyth , if you would like to see it I am on ( redhackle@blueyonder.co.uk), contact me and I will forward it to you. Bill...

I am a descendant of Alexander Boyd, who is my 4xgt-grandfather (matrilineally). We are the NZ branch of the family.

Henry Alexander Campbell was the a cousin of the Earl of Breadalbane, and was hanged for deserting the scene of the duel having not followed the proscribed protocols (ie behaved dishonorably) - that is my reading of the case anyway. His wife was Elizabeth, nee Bowie, who remarried after his death. This branch of the Campbell family died out when their children died without issue.

Captain Boyd's widow, Jessie Boyd, subsequently relocated to London, with her two children, Alexander (II) and daughter, also named Jessie (who died without issue in London, 1832). Alexander (II) married Anne Cameron of Kilmallie (Inverness) in London, 1846 - having three sons, James Milne Boyd, Robert Low Boyd and Alexander (III) Boyd. The family emigrated to Melbourne, Australia in 1852 aboard the Barrockpore. We descend from J. M. Boyd who came to NZ to serve with the Armed Constabulary about 1864. We have not been able to trace to date any other descendants.

My question in relation to the 21st Regiment - where would one find further information about the military service record for Captain Alexander Boyd? - a Scots regiment doing a stint at Newry Barracks in the 1806 - 1807 period.
    Last edited by Tarewa; 22nd August 2017 at 12:50.

Ancestry Irish Newry or Dublin Newspapers

The 21st was the Royal North British Fusiliers. While Lowlander's in dress, they did have numerous bits of Scottish Iconography in their dress.

Here is an Officers Button from Saratoga.

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/g...toga+1777.html

Enlisted button

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/g...ot+button.html

Grenadier Cartridge Box Badge:

http://www.historicalimagebank.com/g..._1777.jpg.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12