Thread: 3rd Battalion - Special Reserves - Black Watch

3rd Battalion - Special Reserves - Black Watch

My first post so I hope it arrives where it should.

I have the war papers of an relative of mine and would like to know more about what action he was involved with during early 1915 as he lost a leg and was discharged.

The information I have:-
    Name= John Lees
    Previous employment was a Shale Miner
    Lived Edinburgh area
    Station on discharge papers listed as Perth dated 19th November 1916
    Rank = Piper / Private
    Number = 3/3401
    Expeditionary Force France
    Enlisted 1st September 1914
    Discharged 22nd April 1915 after 234 days service 89 of them in France

Clearly we wasn't very lucky loosing his left leg but at least he came home which is more than many did.

Any help greatly received

Thanks

Hi Chippy,

Welcome to the Forum. I'm glad you found your way.

The Third Special Reserve Battalion mobilized at Perth on 8th August 1914 and moved to it's Wartime station at Nigg, Ross-shire.

The Thirds responsibilities was the defence of the north Sutor Fort at Nigg. They were also responsible for the training of reservists for front line duty overseas.

The first draft to be sent overseas consisted of 1 officer 93 men. They departed for France on the 26th August 1914.

Other drafts were as follows:

2nd left on 30 Aug 14 with 1 officer and 93 men.

3rd left on 11 Sep 14 with 1 officer and 93 men.

4th left on 19 Sep 14 with 2 officers and 186 men.

By the middle of October almost every trained officer below the rank of Major, and all trained men available had left for France.

Do you have any indication on his papers as to which battalion he was drafted into?

The Pipes of War by Seaton and Grant page 97.
    1st Battalion Black Watch Piper J.Lees wounded, 25/1/15.
    Regards Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Regards Ron.
    Forgot to mention it was the battle for Givenchy.
    Ron.

Chalky and Ron,

Thank you for all the information.

In answer to Chalky's question about Battalion....all I have is 3rd Battalion The Black Watch

Chippy

Quote Originally Posted by ronmarsden View Post
    Regards Ron.
    Ron, I am just getting back to my relatives history...have you any information available to indicate what caused the loss of John Lees leg?
    Thanks
    Jim

Jim, sorry I have no further information about John Lees. However pipers suffered heavy casualties in the first two years of the war.
    Ron.

Hi there , my Gt. Grandfather Andrew Kelly was also 3rd Special Reserve BW, he was Drummer in the Band but also a trained Infantryman , he was sent out during the early days of the BEF and was involved in the Battle of NEUVE CHAPELLE , 10-13 MARCH 1915 , his brother William Mathieson Kelly died of wounds received on 15th March 1915 , his brother was 2nd Bn Black Watch, what I have found is that on all records I have found relating to my Gt. G father nothing states what units he was sent to serve with everything just says 3rd Special Reserve Battalion . he had another older brother Frank Kelly who was in 1st Bn BW.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewColtart View Post
    Hi there , my Gt. Grandfather Andrew Kelly was also 3rd Special Reserve BW, he was Drummer in the Band but also a trained Infantryman , he was sent out during the early days of the BEF and was involved in the Battle of NEUVE CHAPELLE , 10-13 MARCH 1915 , his brother William Mathieson Kelly died of wounds received on 15th March 1915 , his brother was 2nd Bn Black Watch, what I have found is that on all records I have found relating to my Gt. G father nothing states what units he was sent to serve with everything just says 3rd Special Reserve Battalion . he had another older brother Frank Kelly who was in 1st Bn BW.
    2541 Private (Drummer) Andrew Kelly, Nethergate, Dundee, went with the 1st Btn to France in August 1914. He was later in the 8th Btn.

Cheers,
    Derek.

Hi Chippy,
    Do you have any photographs or other biographical information relating to Piper Lees? I have been assisting Pipe Major Ali Duthie with his research into Pipers of the Black Watch and one of the many things we try and do is find known images of the piper and also what happened to them after there time in the army. I will check with Ali to see if he has any additional information for you.
    If you do not want to share biographical information via this forum, Ali can be contacted via the Black Watch museum.
    Kind regards,
    Stewart