Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Grandfather

Quote Originally Posted by jakdaw View Post
    I got some information from my mother last night, she said she believed James enlisted in 1906, in Perth, for six years. She said he spent a lot of time in India before the war and has boxes full of postcards and photographs from India. She believed that he left the army after his service, around 1912, then went to work in the pits. on the lead up to the outbreak of WW1 she remembers him saying that he re-enlisted again in Bridge Of Allan, and was subsequently sent to France in early August 1914. She does not know any particulars of the regiment, but clearly from the evidence so far he was Royal Highlanders. Was there specific battalions of the RH that were sent to France in August 1914, that earned the 1914 star with clasp roses?

She also mentioned that he said to her he was one of the oldest in his regiment at the outbreak of WW1, at 27 years old. He was nicknamed "Churby" by his fellow soldiers, due to him being quite stocky. The story is slowly piecing together, but I guess some of the gaps may not be possible to fill.
    Would love to see the photographs and postcards from India.

The 2nd Battalion the Black Watch were in India from October 1902 until its departure for France in September 1914. The 1st Battalion were in the UK.

James enlisted in 1906 so I would presume that he was sent to the 2nd Battalion because of the unrest in India at the time. If he was in the 2nd until 1912 then he may have taken part in the Delhi Dunbar in 1911.

At the outbreak of the war the 1st Battalion were in Aldershot and the Battalion received mobilization orders on 4th August.

The following is an extract from 'A History of the Black Watch': Chapter 1 page 1:

On mobilization, however, about two hundred of these men were left behind under the regulation debarring soldiers under twenty years of age from proceeding on active service. Their places were taken and the Battalion completed to its war establishment by the arrival from the depot of five hundred reservists, almost all of whom had served seven years in either the 1st or 2nd Battalions of the Regiment.

It is probably safe to presume that James was among this 500.

The 1st Battalion landed in France on 14 August 1914 with an establishment of 28 Officers and 1031 other ranks.

Since you are getting deeper into the family here is something that may help. There are a few Dawson's listed. One or more may be related.

http://www.chalmers-family.org/genuk...s/CLKabcd.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky View Post
    Would love to see the photographs and postcards from India.

The 2nd Battalion the Black Watch were in India from October 1902 until its departure for France in September 1914. The 1st Battalion were in the UK.

James enlisted in 1906 so I would presume that he was sent to the 2nd Battalion because of the unrest in India at the time. If he was in the 2nd until 1912 then he may have taken part in the Delhi Dunbar in 1911.

At the outbreak of the war the 1st Battalion were in Aldershot and the Battalion received mobilization orders on 4th August.

The following is an extract from 'A History of the Black Watch': Chapter 1 page 1:

On mobilization, however, about two hundred of these men were left behind under the regulation debarring soldiers under twenty years of age from proceeding on active service. Their places were taken and the Battalion completed to its war establishment by the arrival from the depot of five hundred reservists, almost all of whom had served seven years in either the 1st or 2nd Battalions of the Regiment.

It is probably safe to presume that James was among this 500.

The 1st Battalion landed in France on 14 August 1914 with an establishment of 28 Officers and 1031 other ranks.

Since you are getting deeper into the family here is something that may help. There are a few Dawson's listed. One or more may be related.

http://www.chalmers-family.org/genuk...s/CLKabcd.html
    Chalky,

You never cease to amaze me. The part I was scratching my head over was, how could he have been a Territorual and land with 1st Btn in August 1914....the paragraph explains that prefectly. I agree that it would be safe to assume the very same.

My mum is in the process of looking out all the postcards and photographs for me, some of which she is sending to me by post and others she is scanning and emailing me. Whenever I get them chalky, I will scan the remaining hard copies and email them all over to you! This may take some time to get you them all, but rest assured you will get copies. I am living in France just now, with work, my mother is in Scotland, Coalsnaughton/Tillicoultry, so I cant just nip back to her house to get them.

Hi Jakdaw,

I am writing a book on the Pipers of the regiment
    if you get in touch on my email theduthies@hotmail.com
    I have some info on him that I can tell you about him.
    Kind Regards

Alistair Duthie
    Pipe Major

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123