Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Grandfather

Jakdaw,

I left a comment on the man's blog. I explained that the piper was WW2 and the information was WW1. The piper is E J Dawson and was painted by Ian Eadie. It did hang in the McManus Gallery in Dundee. Don't know if it still does.

I await his reply.

I have James, born 10 May 1887 and living at 15 Loan, Hawick. (links to area). His parents were married in Tillycoultry on 8 June 1886 and Margarets maiden name was Drysdale.

"I have James, born 10 May 1887 and living at 15 Loan, Hawick. (links to area). His parents were married in Tillycoultry on 8 June 1886 and Margarets maiden name was Drysdale."

Chalky, absolutely correct! I did not know the address in Hawick, nor the date of his parents marriage though. Margarte's maiden name was indeed Drysdale. There were four children from the marriage in total: James, John, George and Jane. James was the only one born in Hawick, the other three were born in Tillicoultry/Devonside. How did you get this information so quickly? The specifics as to the address and marriage date have completely blown me away.

Thank you so much for your help.

Just sent you and email JD

just got it...I am totally in your debt mate, this is awesome!

JD,

The Dawson family in 1911 only had 5 people in the household. The writing is awful but I think it says Paton Street which is in Clackmannon (south of Tillicoultry).

Looks like Dad, Mum, John (21), Jane (18 and perhaps George (11).

I located a James Dawson in Angus who was around the same age as yours but I don't know if it is the same one.

I'll send you the copy.

Brilliant stuff Chalky.

I noticed that too and sent reply in email, the ages from the 1901 census tally exactly to the ages of the names you mention above, so James has left home by this time. I am wondering if this is when he joined the Black Watch, somewhere between 1905 and 1911? I have no information at all at this time as to him being in Angus.

There is a Paton street in Alloa, and Tillicoultry had a woolen mill named Patons Mill's, which is now flats: http://www.tillicoultry.org.uk/mills.htm

The 1911 census seems to show several families at the same house number, 17?
    Last edited by jakdaw; 14th November 2012 at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by jakdaw View Post
    There is a Paton street in Alloa, and Tillicoultry had a woolen mill named Patons Mill's, which is now flats: http://www.tillicoultry.org.uk/mills.htm

The 1911 census seems to show several families at the same house number, 17?
    JD,

The mill certainly makes sense of the dad, son and daughters occupations on the 1911 census.

Notice also that there is a Jane Drysdale, aged 77 near the foot of the page. Margarets Mum?

They were all factory workers on that census.

They seem to have migrated back home looking at their registered place of birth.

Chalky,

I had not noticed the mention of Jayne Drysdale, but that certainly makes sense. It is a frustrating task I have under taken here :-) what started as finding out about James's time with the Black Watch is taking me further and further in...but, am enjoying it so much.

Tillicoultry had quite a few mills in its time, and it was certainly the main work where people were employed, that and mining. It seems James parents went to Hawick, for what could be no more than a year, then returned home to their town of birth, Tillicoultry.

I have been looking at the 1911 census document to try and make sense of the street "Paton St", and going by this website:

http://www.scrol.gov.uk/scrol/wareho...3&areaId=06S04

The Parish Ward of Tillicoultry West, is Tillicoultry itself. At the top of the census page, the first street mentioned is Park Street, which can be seen clearly on the map in the link above (if you zoom in on the map), but no where can I see a Paton Street. Very confusing......the link above shows the Tillicoultry West Parish Ward boundary.

Your help Chalky has been invaluable...cannot praise you highly enough!

I got some information from my mother last night, she said she believed James enlisted in 1906, in Perth, for six years. She said he spent a lot of time in India before the war and has boxes full of postcards and photographs from India. She believed that he left the army after his service, around 1912, then went to work in the pits. on the lead up to the outbreak of WW1 she remembers him saying that he re-enlisted again in Bridge Of Allan, and was subsequently sent to France in early August 1914. She does not know any particulars of the regiment, but clearly from the evidence so far he was Royal Highlanders. Was there specific battalions of the RH that were sent to France in August 1914, that earned the 1914 star with clasp roses?

She also mentioned that he said to her he was one of the oldest in his regiment at the outbreak of WW1, at 27 years old. He was nicknamed "Churby" by his fellow soldiers, due to him being quite stocky. The story is slowly piecing together, but I guess some of the gaps may not be possible to fill.
    Last edited by jakdaw; 15th November 2012 at 07:59. Reason: spelling :-)

JD,

I know where Paton Street is but the problem I had was the distance between Park St and Paton Street. The only connection to me is they are alphabetical.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast