Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Watch Sergeant's Badge

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Black Watch Sergeant's Badge

Here are some photos of a Black Watch Sergeant's badge I acquired recently. It is in nearly mint condition. All pieces stamped, not cast. It is a great looking badge but when I received it I was surprised by how thin and somewhat bendy the star was. This is my only non-Canadian BW badge, I collect CEF (WW1) Canadian badges, of which I will post a few of the BW-related ones in the near future. I'd love to hear any comments about this badge, pro or con. Are the stars on badges of this era and type fairly light/bendable? I'd be happy to post close-ups of any part of the badge. Regards, Ian.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by whizzbang; 7th July 2012 at 04:14.

nice looking badge
    Chuck

Not seen one with a removable centre , in fact I have never heard of a badge issued only to Sgt's?

Yours Aye
    Tam .
    War does not decide who is right , only who is left.

Tam Drummond
    Former Musician in the 1st Bn The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment )

Might want to check with Ron Marsden who probably has more Regimental badges then anyone else, except the Museum.

Bob Little
    God Bless "The Watch" Now And Forever

If you have a look at post number 20 (last one on page 2) from Ron you will see a badge which is very similar.

Click Here

Thanks for your comments gentlemen. Regarding the "sergeant's badge", here is the description from Ron Marsden's photo of a similar badge:

"42nd Sergeants glengarry badge. Die-stamped white metal Star of the Order of the Thistle mounted with gilt crowned oval inscribed "Nemo me impune lacesset" resting in thistle wreath with Sphinx below. To the seeded centre white metal numerals "42". Two loops to the reverse. This example is 80mm high slightly longer than usual. 1875-1881. This pattern continuded to be worn by Sgts of the 1st Bn until 1920."

Mine is definitely similar to this one. Look's like Ron's has larger, round holes in the star for the lugs on the overlay to go through.

Cheers, Ian.

Here is the badge that Ron posted:

and the badge Ian posted:

We live and learn as my auld granny used to say .

Yours Aye
    Tam.
    War does not decide who is right , only who is left.

Tam Drummond
    Former Musician in the 1st Bn The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment )

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum nice to see another collector here. Look forward to seeing your C.E.F. Items.
    With regard to your badge it is difficult to judge an item without holding it in your hand. I do have some concerns the back star should not flex. The overlay looks to be freshly gilded? Or is it a reflection from the camera? For a hundred year old badge the gilt should be worn off the high points. Are the numerals silver or white metal? It could be a mint condition badge that has never been worn.
    Regards Ron.

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the welcome! Regarding my badge, the gilt is worn on the highlights and has faded compared to the back. Like you said, the camera flash makes it look new. Also, if you take the overlay off the star you can see a very faint gold tinge on the star from transfer of the gilt over time - I imagine that takes a while to occur. I got the badge from a very reputable British dealer and I am happy enough with it. The dealer told me that the badge is from the Hugh King collection. When I looked at KK 497 the badge depicted there is identical to mine, right down to the tilt of the numbers - I suppose it might even be mine! Mainly, I was just a little surprised by how 'minty' it is, and of course the flexibility of the star. The badge itself weighs almost 20 grams so it does have some substance to it. The numbers appear to be silver as opposed to white metal.

I will post my CEF badges this weekend if at all possible.

Cheers, Ian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast